Don Baduria's ukulele

valde002

Reaction score
I am listening to and studying Don Baduria Sr's playing. Am wondering he sticks to one size ukulele. Is it a tenor?

And also did I Herb Otah Sr. mostly play soprano or were there other sizes as well?

Thanks for any input.

Ohta San played a hybrid size instrument at one time. It was made by Kamaka and was in between a concert and tenor. I've seen Ohta San perform a few times and I'm not sure if he was still playing that size. My guess is he was playing a concert when I saw him.

Ohta San played a hybrid size instrument at one time. It was made by Kamaka and was in between a concert and tenor. I've seen Ohta San perform a few times and I'm not sure if he was still playing that size. My guess is he was playing a concert when I saw him.

In the mid-1960s he designed the hybrid in-between concert and tenor Ohta-San model with Kamaka, which is still in commercial production today, and I read once that back then he did play the original prototype. But I believe he's been playing this one for years - at least the times I've seen him. He's very small, so it may look like a concert uke, but it's definitely a Martin soprano.

Could have been a soprano. Ohta San is indeed very small. I have a picture of me standing next to him and I felt like Hulk Hogan. I'm only five foot seven and 160 pounds and I towered over him. That doesn't happen too often. He still plays great. He plays a lot with an excellent guitarist from Pearl City area named Nando Suan.

Could have been a soprano. Ohta San is indeed very small. I have a picture of me standing next to him and I felt like Hulk Hogan. I'm only five foot seven and 160 pounds and I towered over him. That doesn't happen too often. He still plays great. He plays a lot with an excellent guitarist from Pearl City area named Nando Suan.

Ha, I'm only 5'2" and I felt enormous next to him :) Last saw him play with Nando Suan a few years back at the Ukulele Picnic in Honolulu. I've heard he's had health issues lately so I wonder if he's still playing much.

Top Bottom