A Problem Related to Buying

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I have a buying-related problem. I accepted an offer from the Guitar Store to get one of their credit cards. I can have six months with no interest. I don't need anything, but I hate missing the opportunity to take a new credit card out for a spin while paying no interest. I keep looking at their site, but nothing is grabbing my attention. I guess that's a good thing. Maybe I should just put the card away until I actually need something.

I never ever buy on credit, yes I use a credit card but mine are set up so that they are paid in full by the due date.

Even my new car was paid for in full, no hire or lease arrangements for me.

I never ever buy on credit, yes I use a credit card but mine are set up so that they are paid in full by the due date.

Even my new car was paid for in full, no hire or lease arrangements for me.

I have an Amazon card and a card from Sam's Club. Each one pays me a generous bonus, but I never paid them a cent in interest. Every February, Sam's sends me a check for $300 or more. Credit cards are great if you know how to use them.

I have an Amazon card and a card from Sam's Club. Each one pays me a generous bonus, but I never paid them a cent in interest. Every February, Sam's sends me a check for $300 or more. Credit cards are great if you know how to use them.

As far as I know credit cards in the U.K. don’t pay such bonuses, it would interest me if they did and so would the business model.

Credit cards are indeed great if you fully understand them and use them appropriately, however their business model is intended for those that don’t (they stay in business by charging high rates of interest). I’ve seen people suffer due to their own and their spouse’s credit card debt and you don’t have to look hard to see how folk get drawn into taking on debt. (Have our credit card and have that guitar you like now ..... it’s only overpriced and over stocked so do us a favour and buy even if you’re not sure you need one ..... ).

I have a credit card, I’ve made certain that there is a low limit on it (an act to limit liability) and typically I only use it to gain (under U.K. law) additional customer protection rights. The balance is always paid off each month and I usually use other methods of payment. Credit cards are great, but they are only great for some people for some of the time.

Last edited:
As far as I know credit cards in the U.K. don’t pay such bonuses, it would interest me if they did and so would the business model.

Credit cards are indeed great if you fully understand them and use them appropriately, however their business model is intended for those that don’t (they stay in business by charging high rates of interest). I’ve seen people suffer due to their own and their spouse’s credit card debt and you don’t have to look hard to see how folk get drawn into taking on debt. (Have our credit card and have that guitar you like now ..... it’s only overpriced and over stocked so do us a favour and buy even if you’re not sure you need one ..... ).

I have a credit card, I’ve made certain that there is a low limit on it (an act to limit liability) and typically I only use it to gain (under U.K. law) additional customer protection rights. The balance is always paid off each month and I usually use other methods of payment. Credit cards are great, but they are only great for some people for some of the time.

Yes, the interest and the fees are ridiculous. 29% is not unusual.

Years ago we had a CC of some kind, and they kept raising our limit until it got to $33,000. One summer we received a letter from the bank saying that during an audit, they discovered that we had an unrealistic credit limit, and they reduced it to something reasonable. That was an odd situation. Imagine paying 29% interest on $33,000.

I have a buying-related problem. I accepted an offer from the Guitar Store to get one of their credit cards. I can have six months with no interest. I don't need anything, but I hate missing the opportunity to take a new credit card out for a spin while paying no interest. I keep looking at their site, but nothing is grabbing my attention. I guess that's a good thing. Maybe I should just put the card away until I actually need something.

Buying something you wouldn't have otherwise purchased just to "save" money on a promotion is not saving any money, but actually losing money.

Years ago, my wife and I flew to HI and back, and most of the ticket cost was covered by air miles.
We travel a lot and we almost always fly Delta because we have a Delta Visa and we get all kinds of perks from it. Like everyone else is saying, the trick is to pay them off every month. But we put all of our travel expenses on it, from the time we leave until we drive back into the garage. It is a good way to keep track of travel expenses.

They are counting on you finding something. You really owe it to them to look harder.

Buying something you wouldn't have otherwise purchased just to "save" money on a promotion is not saving any money, but actually losing money.
Like finding twenty-five more dollars worth of stuff that you didn't want so that you can save nine dollars shipping. :)

Like finding twenty-five more dollars worth of stuff that you didn't want so that you can save nine dollars shipping. :)

That would be one of the ways I leave things in my cart for ages - waiting to need something else from that store for that free shipping. Amazon has helped much with this, but I should probably consider the ramifications of a company becoming such a behemoth because we hate to pay for shipping.

That would be one of the ways I leave things in my cart for ages - waiting to need something else from that store for that free shipping. Amazon has helped much with this, but I should probably consider the ramifications of a company becoming such a behemoth because we hate to pay for shipping.
Don't get me started on Amazon. They own me. :)

Top Bottom