Blackbird Fight! Clara v. Farallon

ghostrdr

Reaction score
Ok, I'm not as good as most of you, but I thought it would be fun to compare the two.

these were recorded on my iPhone with a Shure MV88 mic.

I just strummed a few first position chords and then played a couple notes on the A string up the fretboard.

Which is first in the sound sample?

Do you like one or the other?

To me, they sound a little different when I'm playing them, but it could be the sound ports, who knows.

Cheers!

They are very very similar in sound. The second sounds a touch "fuller" so guessing that is the Farallon. Same strings on both?

With such a similar sound, one might choose on the neck size/spacing ... concert vs tenor... instead the size.

I’ve never played either but sure would like to try then so I can buy one or the other. Of course string can play a big part. Based on what I’ve read about Clara being a cannot, my guess .......first is Clara and second if Farallon.......just to play along. I play tenor but like the Clara shape. I’ve never played a concert, always tenor so been thinking a Farallon. Just need to play them both. Congrats on having two great ukuleles.. I await other opinion and the reveal.
Thanks for posting..

Second one has a much deeper sound. The first one is muddier.

#1 - Clara
#2 - Farallon

I own a Clara, and there are several Claras and Farallons in my uke groups, so let's see if I'm right?

The Farallon is strung Oasis Brights and Fremont soloist

The Clara is strung with Worth Browns (my best guess) and Fremont soloist

The second one definitely seems to have a warmer, deeper tone, so my guess is 1) Clara and 2) Farallon. However, the strings can make a big difference. The Browns on the Clara are gonna be warmer than the Oasis Brights on the Farallon, so that could flip things around completely. I kind of hope that it is 1) Farallon and 2) Clara. It would serve as a good illustration of the difference the string sets can make.

BTW...I hope you made the little volcano noises in your head after strumming the chords. ;)

I'll tell you the answer tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'll post another sound sample with a little more finger style melody. Please excuse any playing mistakes.

the two blackbird ukuleles are played in the same order.

It looks like the majority of you are either going to be correct, or the majority of you are going to be very surprised. ;)

I have no idea really, but based on the strings, I'd say that #1 is the Farallon and # 2 is the Clara.
I like the sound of #2 better, whichever one it is.

Either way, I enjoyed your fingerpicking!

I can only support that which has been said.
But merely confirming those statements.
The first is ‘muddier’ and perhaps brighter.
The second is fuller and warmer.

Your choice as to preference, mine is the second.

I'll tell you the answer tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'll post another sound sample with a little more finger style melody. Please excuse any playing mistakes.

the two blackbird ukuleles are played in the same order.

It looks like the majority of you are either going to be correct, or the majority of you are going to be very surprised. ;)

I have a feeling I just found out I don't like Oasis Brights.

Last edited:
Drumroll please.........

Uke #1 is the Blackbird Farallon
Uke #2 is the Blackbird Clara.

Hmmm. in fairness, the Farallon's strings may be due for a change. When playing the two, I don't notice a huge difference between the two, but playing back the recordings using headsets, the Clara does seem more *focused* and punchier. The A string on the Clara is something else, especially at the 12th or 14th fret. Really loud and bell like (maybe even a bit too loud?)

The Clara is a joy to play. It is confusing me a little with fret spacing to keep switching back and forth between the two of them. I really like the richlite material of the fretboard and it is much more mentally relaxing and freeing not to have to worry about humidity, leaving fingerprints on the instrument, etc. Blackbird instruments sound a bit different than wood, but still sound really good.

I enjoy the Magic Fluke Flea with wood fretboard, but the Clara has another gear somehow - the dynamic range is just broader, more complex and she is a lot louder.

Hopefully, this has been interesting to folks.
Rich

Well there you go ......the strings made a big difference I guess. My Clara came high G with the Oasis Brights.

What is striking is not the difference between the sound output of the two, but rather the similarity of the sound outputs.

What is striking is not the difference between the sound output of the two, but rather the similarity of the sound outputs.

Agreed. They're quite similar, which is sort of amazing... The Farallon is exceptionally sensitive to string variations, so it doesn't surprise me that it can sound more like a concert scale with Oasis brights. I personally find the Farallon to be a bit too warm, so I really like strings that brighten it up a LOT.

Drumroll please.........

Uke #1 is the Blackbird Farallon
Uke #2 is the Blackbird Clara.

Hmmm. in fairness, the Farallon's strings may be due for a change. When playing the two, I don't notice a huge difference between the two, but playing back the recordings using headsets, the Clara does seem more *focused* and punchier. The A string on the Clara is something else, especially at the 12th or 14th fret. Really loud and bell like (maybe even a bit too loud?)

The Clara is a joy to play. It is confusing me a little with fret spacing to keep switching back and forth between the two of them. I really like the richlite material of the fretboard and it is much more mentally relaxing and freeing not to have to worry about humidity, leaving fingerprints on the instrument, etc. Blackbird instruments sound a bit different than wood, but still sound really good.

I enjoy the Magic Fluke Flea with wood fretboard, but the Clara has another gear somehow - the dynamic range is just broader, more complex and she is a lot louder.

Hopefully, this has been interesting to folks.
Rich

Thanks Rich! Enjoyed the comparison.

I had a hard time deciding which was which when listening on my iPad.

I am curious if either instrument had a side sound port? The side sound ports seem to make a significant difference at least on the Farallons.

For this reason and others I don't believe every Farallon or every Clara sounds the same.

I prefer the farallon. I would not call it muddy at all. It’s more harmonious and blends the notes nicely together. I get that flowing gentle feeling when listened to the finger style playing of the farallon. And great playing btw! Would it be possible to share the tab on this?

The Clara is too punchy and sharp edged for my taste. I think it will do well for a upbeat song. I couldn’t be the only one that prefer the farallon...?

Top Bottom