PDA

View Full Version : Which Worth Strings for a Concert Flea?

Dada
08-13-2019, 11:09 AM
I recently acquired a nice Concert Flea (used). It has a metal wound Low-G on it, and some dark fluorcarbons on it. I would like to put some new strings on then, because the sound a bit muffled (the metal-wound probably is not a problem, because the uke has a wooden fretboard, but I still want to get rid of it).
I like the idea of Low-G on this Uke. I am a fan of Worth strings, but I am wonderig whether to get the CM-LG or BM-LG. The Flea has a good ring, so I am leaning towards the BM. Or will that muffle it too much? What do you guys think? Thanks for your input.

Gary52
08-13-2019, 02:27 PM
I have Worth browns on a concert Flea in re-entrant tuning, and I like the sound & feel of them. Give the LG set a try, it's pretty cheap to experiment with different string sets.

AustinHing
08-13-2019, 03:07 PM
I have tried both low G of the tenor scale on the same uke. They are different but not that much of a difference except for the tonal quality. The brown set is more dark tone but definitely not mellow. I would think the choice should consider the top sound board material as well. For my own preference, I would use the brown on koa, cedar, spruce. Whereas the clear is used on a mahogany top. So feel free to get a bunch of strings and try them out. You will know it once you hear them yourself. Just my 2 cents worth and hope it helps.

Ukecaster
08-13-2019, 09:17 PM
Many here have recommended Martin M600 on Fleas, and I concur. Not sure about low G, but the standard M600 set sounds phenomenal on my concert Flea, YMMV.

UkingViking
08-14-2019, 05:02 AM
I have the Brown ones on my Tenor Fluke.
I dont find the sound muffled.
The low G can sound a bit wobbly, or what to call it when it is like the uke is not really build to generate the deep notes. But I guess that is hard avoid with the light plastic build, I doubt the Clears would make a difference.

Disclaimer:
On the one uke where I tried both the clear and Brown strings, I could only barely tell the difference, and I never tried clear low G, so perhaps my impression is not that usable.

Dada
08-15-2019, 07:02 AM
Well, thanks everybody for the great input! I ordered a Worth BM-LG now. I have the clear on some soprano ukes (Brüko Nr. 6, Koaloha Sopran), normal browns on a Luna concert (EX-MB) and the BT-LG on a cheap Lanikai Tenor -- so far my only Low_G in the herd. The tenor is a bit stretchy for my small hands, so I am looking forward to putting the new strings on the concert Flea now. Will report once they are here and i had time to play them in.