Need the forum’s opinions...

Even as a die-hard Kiwaya fan I’d opt for the Kanilea. It’s less expensive and, in my opinion, it’s far more likely to hold its value if for no other reason than name recognition.

Besides, my Artist Series Kiwaya koa tenor is light enough as it is without a slimmed down body and neck. I just don’t see an advantage to making it slimmer.

Last edited:
Kanile'a please.

Thanks for the replies. Ha, ya that Kanile’a is sweet. Good point about Kiwaya/ Famous being light to begin with. I really want a slot head as do most. Ok, leaning back to the Kanile’a ;) Thanks guys.

Even as a die-hard Kiwaya fan I’d opt for the Kanilea. It’s less expensive and, in my opinion, it’s far more likely to hold its value if for no other reason than name recognition.

I think the Kiwaya is actually a "Famous" brand which has some recognition in Japan but unknown in the rest of the world. I find their mahogany vintage Martin emulations appealing, but for a Koa the Kanile'a is definitely the way to go.

Ya there is a Mahogany Kiwaya/ Famous Tenor on reverb too. I do like the black and the way the fretboard meets the upper bout. As well as the sound sample and nut width. I’ve read and heard great things about Kiwaya, but I do have a Kanile’a I absolutely adore. So I know I love the brand. I was thinking of acting fast on the Kiwaya because they are rare, but the Kanile’a was my gut choice. As I obviously didn’t need much convincing.

Last edited:
What would you prefer... A KSR Tenor Kanile’a or a Kiwaya/F FTK3 Tenor on reverb... I’m leaning towards the Ftk... Having trouble finding more info on it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zTwwumayHoizqkGk9

When you got your Blackbird Clara you said you UAS was cured, I joked that you had jinxed yourself. Then you bought the Moonbird which is a wonderful instrument, as you said the best you have played. Now you are looking at a lovely Kanilea.....I like that one.

Your thread title was “Need the forums opinion”. I am of the opinion your UAS is not cured but burning brightly. It’s all good, I am the pot calling the kettle black. Buy the Kanilea.

Last edited:
Ha, knew that was coming, but I’m gonna sell a Uke first if I pull the trigger. Not acquiring more. Ha, you are correct tho, I’m a prisoner of the moment from time to time.

Ha, knew that was coming, but I’m gonna sell a Uke first if I pull the trigger. Not acquiring more. Ha, you are correct tho, I’m a prisoner of the moment from time to time.

Hey it’s a fun and fulfilling hobby. I went through many ukes, buying trying, selling and keeping. One in one out is where I am at myself, so I say anyways:p

Does the Kiwaya/F FTK3 Tenor have a black finish? If so, it will show fingerprints, smudges and other schmutz like crazy.

I like my Kanile'a tenors very much. They have a deep and rich sound. One caveat, the neck is rather flat (back to front) compared to other tenors. I got used to the shape very quickly. YMMV

Top Bottom