Winding Martin Soprano Strings

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Martin thinks it's best to wind the G and A strings on the outside of the tuning posts for some reason. Most used Martin sopranos that I've bought have had the strings wrapped in the traditional way. I doubt that I would notice a difference in sound, but I like to keep them looking "correct," so I rewind them.

Martin Winding.jpg

Jerry -

With regular friction tuners, winding direction can be changed at will. However, I know you have a Konter with PegHed tuners, remember those tuners have to be installed directional, so the strings will need to be wound in the orientation Martin installed the PegHeds.

Jim

Last edited:
I guess it's possible that the theory is that if the first and fourth strings are wound "to the outside" as shown in the photo, it's less likely that they'll get hung up or "snagged" in the nut on their way through; in other words, this method makes for a "straighter shot" from nut to tuning post.

Jerry -

With regular friction tuners, winding direction can be changed at will. However, I know you have a Konter with PegHed tuners, remember those tuners have to be installed directional, so the strings will need to be wound in the orientation Martin installed the PegHeds.

Jim

Right! But I bought it used, and the red strings are wound the wrong way. Whoever wound those strings didn't consider the PegHeds. Still, I can't imagine the string tension unscrewing the PegHeds out of the wood.

Winding.jpg 02A.jpg

Right! But I bought it used, and the red strings are wound the wrong way. Whoever wound those strings didn't consider the PegHeds. Still, I can't imagine the string tension unscrewing the PegHeds out of the wood.

View attachment 120579 View attachment 120580

I've been told these are normally installed with a small spot of glue. The Luthier also stated under the right circumstances, winding the strings in the opposite direction that the Peghed was installed could loosen the tuner itself and require a reinstallation by a professional.

Top Bottom