G-String Koa concert ukulele (UK) guestions

Funkuku

Reaction score
Hi

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask (apologies if not) but I have a G-String Koa concert ukulele Hawaiian style that I'm thinking of selling but I'm struggling to find information about them on the internet guess its the name :)

i think they are or were a good brand of Hawaiian made ukuleles and mine is in very good condition had the etched Hawaiian style on the top, sounds and plays great.

i would appreciate if anyone can give me some information about this ukulele.

thanks

Daz

Hi

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask (apologies if not) but I have a G-String Koa concert ukulele Hawaiian style that I'm thinking of selling but I'm struggling to find information about them on the internet guess its the name :)

i think they are or were a good brand of Hawaiian made ukuleles and mine is in very good condition had the etched Hawaiian style on the top, sounds and plays great.

i would appreciate if anyone can give me some information about this ukulele.

thanks

Daz

Hi Daz, I wrote a bit about what I know in another thread. https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?140491-Any-info-on-this-G-Strings-soprano

For a while, G string had tattoo models and I think Hawaiian Style was one of them.

The other information in the other thread should be helpful too. Feel free to pm me or otherwise ask here with any additional questions. Good luck!

Unfortunately for G-string, it is a terrible search word for their brand. You’re lucky to get ukulele string results instead of a certain kind of underwear.

thats great thanks for the information really helpful. I had a look on reverb.com and there are a couple of very expensive high end ones for sale.

Last edited:
They were highly regarded when Derek was making them in Hawaii. Maybe the recession got him, but it seems the brand nearly disappeared entirely in the early '10s. They're hard to value because they don't have the name recognition of the K brand Hawaiians. I got a soprano in a trade that I later sold when I decided to liquidate my solid-body instruments (and I probably lost on both ends of the transaction). Now I wish I would have kept it ... It was really light and resonant.

The one i have was made in Hawaii i also had a kanilea ukulele sold that one a few years ago and kept the G-String as i thought is sounded much better, these things are subjective i know. I just don't play it as much as i should for such a nice instrument and i think it needs to be played and enjoyed. so as soon as i can work out a price think i will sell.

I have two Hawaiian made koa G string ukulele’s. One is a soprano with a beautiful sap stripe, the other a super soprano. Both are outstanding ukuleles Light and resonant that I would have a hard time parting with, especially the super soprano.

James Hill brought a lot of attention to the brand, as he played one of their tenors for years. I know HIS sure sounded fantastic!

mine also sounds fantastic, unfortunately it doesn't quite sound like James Hill when i play but can't blame the Uku for that though :rolleyes:

Top Bottom