UU Marketplace

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Kind of related to the thread on tariffs, I've noticed that the resale market seems soft these days. There are some fantastic ukuleles in the marketplace that aren't moving like they would have in the not too distant past, (at least as I recall how things were.)

Obviously, that's not directly related to tariffs, though those of us in the US have to anticipate that our expenses for other things are going up, so we might have to shift money around from ukuleles to other things.

But, what do you all see as factors in the slow UU Marketplace? Do we all have all the ukuleles we want, and we've tried all the ukuleles we've wanted to try? Are fewer people wanting to buy ukuleles overall, (is the popularity on the decline?)

Or...what?

I'm surprised that the Kinnard is still there, along with a couple Collings, and a Hoffman, and many others. Seems like they're mostly priced reasonably.

I know what you mean about that. I think there is a sniff of the "R" word, and that is what you are indirectly meaning. As for myself, for the past year I have been preparing (counter to the naysayers) and have been selling items that I don't use (q.v. Dave Ramsey for those unfamiliar). I am limiting my future uke buying, to just something that I might want over the next few years or so, but nothing exploratory like in the past.

Agreed. There do seem to be a number of very fine instruments at reasonable prices that do seem to linger. For me I have quite a few ukes and need to slow down my purchases and I need to prune the herd.

But there also seems less overall activity on the forums. Although I can’t be sure about the latter as I am very busy with a lot of life stuff and it’s hard to juggle everything. :-(

Last edited:
Over the years it always seemed that August (and summer in general) was a slow used uke sales period. Vacations, school, and other interests may dominate spare time for many UU folks in the USA (probably the largest demographic on UU). Used uke interest and sales appears to ramp up in Fall. YMMV

There’s also lots of places to purchase all kinds of ukes these days. For example 10 years ago Sweetwater didn’t have any ukes for sale

Sometimes it’s just pricing.

Kind of related to the thread on tariffs, I've noticed that the resale market seems soft these days. There are some fantastic ukuleles in the marketplace that aren't moving like they would have in the not too distant past, (at least as I recall how things were.)

Obviously, that's not directly related to tariffs, though those of us in the US have to anticipate that our expenses for other things are going up, so we might have to shift money around from ukuleles to other things.

But, what do you all see as factors in the slow UU Marketplace? Do we all have all the ukuleles we want, and we've tried all the ukuleles we've wanted to try? Are fewer people wanting to buy ukuleles overall, (is the popularity on the decline?)

Or...what?

I'm surprised that the Kinnard is still there, along with a couple Collings, and a Hoffman, and many others. Seems like they're mostly priced reasonably.

UAS has gotten people to buy loads of ukes, including new ukes. Since most people who buy lots don't seem to want to keep every uke they buy, I would guess that the inventory of used ukes searching for new homes is exceeding the number of buyers. Unless the number of uke players increases sufficiently to purchase all the new inventory, saturation is inevitable. Lots of people purchase ukuleles as if they were borrowing from a library, but most uke players actually don't have UAS, at least not severe enough to buy up the ukes purchased just to try them.

Last edited:
I was thinking the very same thing about August. If anybody knows buying and selling treads it is certainly Hodge.

Right after Christmas is another poor time to try and sell ukes, people have credit credit debts. But a few months later when tax refunds are being issued is a good time to sell.

UAS has gotten people to buy loads of ukes, including new ukes. Since most people who buy lots don't seem to want to keep every uke they buy, I would guess that the inventory of used ukes searching for new homes is exceeding the number of buyers. Unless the number of uke players increases sufficiently to purchase all the new inventory, saturation is inevitable. Lots of people purchase ukuleles as if they were borrowing from a library, but most uke players actually don't have UAS, at least not severe enough to buy up the ukes purchased just to try them.

I am not sure about saturation. I see so many new members all the time. There are dozens and dozens of names I don’t recognize. Give them time and they will get UAS if they hang around here long enough :p

I agree, as Hodge and Dave have said, it's the late summer uke blahs. Lots of folks are away, and those who aren't are getting ready to get back to work (especially at schools and universities) and/or are getting the kids ready for school. Plus in the deep south, elementary and high schools are already in session.
On the other hand, it's a good time to buy new ukes...……..lots of discount sales.

I don't think it that the slow down has just happened, so not specific to August being a slow month to buy.
I think it's been happening for a while, and maybe just more obvious to me right now with some great ukuleles lingering in the Marketplace and elsewhere.
There has been a Series 2 Kinnard tenor on the Kinnard website since November, (I think - if not, close to that), and I've never seen one linger there that long.

OTOH, Moon Birds fly out the door, (as birds do), from HMS, so maybe the market has just shifted?

But, maybe my perception is off about it all.

Oh, I see that the Hoffman just sold, so someone is proving me wrong. LOL.

Since May I have sold 2 high quality instruments on the UU marketplace quite quickly. I think that was to do mainly because of the price I offered them at, which was determined by the US$/Aus$ exchange rate. That resulted in a win win outcome for both buyer and seller. It’s nice when it works out that way.

I was just talking to another forum member about this who has been on here longer than me. He said summer is always bad likely because people are spending money on vacation

I just sold a ks-5 that was up for quite a while and that I thought would sell in a matter of days. I also had to sell it for a fair bit less than I had expected. On the plus side I just bought a Koaloha ksm-00c for probably good bit less than it would have cost at other times of year. The Marketplace is definitely a buyers market right now, but I suspect it will pick up again soon.

As a long time studio and music shop owner I knew the late July and August blah well. This seasonal cycle of slower sales and lesson attendance has been reality for as long as I can remember. We used to plan our vacations and renovations at this time since there was little lost of business. It's also not a good time to sell used camera gear! Come September and everything goes back to normal.

I thought it was my fault for flooding the market with very vintage Martins. Relieved now and will continue.
Dave

I found it interesting that I have had/and still have a number of quality ukuelele up for sale on the Market place that have moved slowly or not at all. One particular item (two brand new Pineapple Sunday Prototypes made by Pops -- not the Thailand ones, nor blemished) were put up by me in the Market place as a fundraiser. I got lots of questions but no offers. I put them on Facebook and sold both locally in 15 minutes. I was offered $1500 and $1250 respectively. I have lots of thoughts on this as to why but would be happy to hear other's opinions, as well.
bfss74GiSF655kB6MkusVw.jpg

I have an additional theory... I think selling high end ukes that are $1,000+ comes with its own set of challenges. At that price point, people either want new, want to pick the custom options themselves, and/or at least want to test drive it first.

People have an easier time taking a gamble on a $250 to $450 uke than a $1,500 to $3,000 uke. Over the years, uke prices have been creeping up. For example, a lot of K brands were sub $1,000 for their tenors and such, now they are closer to $1,350 and up.

Maybe it is just seasonal. Who knows.

I have an additional theory... I think selling high end ukes that are $1,000+ comes with its own set of challenges. At that price point, people either want new, want to pick the custom options themselves, and/or at least want to test drive it first.

I understand that, but OTOH ukuleles like Kinnards used to sell very quickly, (same day, if not in hours), in the UU Marketplace.

There is a Series 2 Kinnard (new, for those who want prefer new, as you suggest could be) on the Kinnard website that has been lingering for a while, (8 or 9 months? Seems like that might be about when I saw it get posted), which I never used to see with Kinnards before, which makes me wonder if there has been a shift in the ukulele market overall.

I know I'm just citing Kinnards here, but we've got others in the UU Marketplace that I would have expected to sell more quickly than they have.

Moon Birds still seem to sell quickly, though.

I understand that, but OTOH ukuleles like Kinnards used to sell very quickly, (same day, if not in hours), in the UU Marketplace.

They only sell when someone wants to buy them. As I think I've mentioned, I had a couple of ukes for sale on various sites for a couple of months, and then they both sold in the same day.

There is a Series 2 Kinnard (new, for those who want prefer new, as you suggest could be) on the Kinnard website that has been lingering for a while, (8 or 9 months? Seems like that might be about when I saw it get posted), which I never used to see with Kinnards before, which makes me wonder if there has been a shift in the ukulele market overall.

I know I'm just citing Kinnards here, but we've got others in the UU Marketplace that I would have expected to sell more quickly than they have.

Moon Birds still seem to sell quickly, though.

Maybe you're right. Maybe we are hitting a saturation point. I remember 10 years ago, my local ukulele shop (which has a huge selection) maybe had 1-2 KoAlohas, and then a few months later, had 1-2 K'anilea's and then a few months after that had 1-2 Kamakas. Now, they have like 3-4 of each! After I wrote my original post on this thread, I had some contrary thoughts, so maybe it is just a seasonal thing. I don't think we're ever going to be like the guitar enthusiasts though...

Top Bottom