String Color Code

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I received a package of strings from Strings by Mail yesterday. I needed new strings for my "older" Fluke, and I had no idea what I was going to use. I opened the Ball strings with the little ball at the end, but I didn't like the look. Then I opened the Aquila Reds.

All they had for directions were little colored stickers on the envelops. I remember buying strings with little dabs of color on the ends, but they always indicated where the colors belong on the uke. The Aquila package is a deep red, and it has tiny black writing on it. Maybe the color code is in there somewhere.

Using Google, I found the answer from a 2008 post on UU.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?4237-Aquila-Strings-Color-Code

I put Martin M600 strings on the Fluke, and it sounds great.

Good to know, but you would think they could put that information on the package.

My Aquila Nylgut packages always have the colour codes written on them.
Its Red for the 1st string (highest pitch), Blue for the 2nd, Green for the 3rd and White for the 4th.
Its possibly just harder to read on the red packaging.

My Aquila Nylgut packages always have the colour codes written on them.
Its Red for the 1st string (highest pitch), Blue for the 2nd, Green for the 3rd and White for the 4th.
Its possibly just harder to read on the red packaging.

Yes, those are the colors, but that is almost impossible to read on the package. I scanned it, and it's much clearer when enlarged.

Aquila Colors.jpg

As a general comment I will say that I've had to admit to myself in the last couple of years that I need reading glasses now. My long distance vision is still 20/20 and I can make out details at the horizon and my night vision is still pretty sharp for driving but up close its not as good as it used to be. Reading glasses make quite a difference and they don't have to be expensive. I'm using cheap $5 glasses from a thrift shop.

As a general comment I will say that I've had to admit to myself in the last couple of years that I need reading glasses now. My long distance vision is still 20/20 and I can make out details at the horizon and my night vision is still pretty sharp for driving but up close its not as good as it used to be. Reading glasses make quite a difference and they don't have to be expensive. I'm using cheap $5 glasses from a thrift shop.

You're a big spender! I get mine at the Dollar Tree for $1.00. :)

After my cataract surgery, my distant vision was fine, but I need glasses for close-up. The 1X glasses are all I need.

Top Bottom