K-Brands...old or new?

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I've seen some posts about folks buying old K-brand ukes, some very early models, which are sometimes very different from the more recent and current offerings: different bracing, soundhole and bridge shapes, etc. Now I like vintage as much as the next guy, but there's also something to be said for a builder improving his designs and craft over the years. So which do you prefer, older K-brands, or the latest model, with all the "improvements", and why?

I have a white-label Kamaka Lili'u (maybe from mid-70s) and it is definitely my favourite uke. It has a Koa fingerboard and friction tuners, and seen a few repairs and some major use. With so much mojo I would love to know who was the initial owner on Oahu. I played a few new ones in stores and while I like some of their features (particularly the Schaller tuners) I would not have been willing to pay the new price. I also have a 2000 KoAloha concert that is quite different from the new ones with single piece Koa top, back, and sides, and fretboard; lack of a unibrace, and neck joined at 12th fret. While I love these features and it looks much prettier than the new models, I think that in terms of sound the new ones may actually have the edge (though the nut is way too low for it to fully shine).

I have owned a few Kamaka white label sopranos and they are cool historically, but for me, the sound was not there compared to the new. I also owned a fabulous Kamaka HF-38 lili'u that looked gorgeous but was a bit difficult for me to play. I decided to sell and find an HF-3 to replace it. I got a 2003 HF-3 and it is so much easier to play, the sound is wonderful and I love it. I recently compared the 2003 with a 2019 and I did not see, hear, or feel any difference. In the case of kamaka- I like the newer, but 2003 sounds the same as 2019.

For KoAloha, I have an early 1997 soprano without the unibracing and musubi soundhole. It still rings like a KoAloha but plays more like a Kamaka. It does not quite have that KoAloha sound, but still a quality ukulele that easily outshines most others on the market. The addition of the unibracing makes a difference. I had a 2012 KoAloha Tenor that I absolutely loved. I traded it for the Kamaka tenor mentioned above. Last week I got a new 2019 KoAloha tenor, and although beautiful to look at and lovely sounding, the one I traded had just a tiny little more of that KoAloha boom sound that I love. The difference is miniscule but i could tell. it may have something to do with the different finishes on the ukes, but basically, they are the same uke with only the finish as a difference. Volume wise, sustain, clarity, and playability are just about the same. Also, it could just be that different instruments have different voices. Both tenors are definiately KoAloha in appearance and sound and my best ukuleles.

I have a 1940's and 1968 Martin Tenors. Both are basically the same but when you really nit-pick, the 1940's has a tone that I like a little better. Same volume but the tone is not as bright as the 1968. I like the deeper tones. Both are great ukuleles, but the tone is different. The 1940's is a bit deeper. I have not found any of the newer Martin's that I have played compare comparably to these older versions - they just don't. The 1920's Martin soprano that I have sounds like no other current Martin soprano that I have played. The tone of the vintage suggests to me that with Martin, as opposed to Kamaka, the vintage is preferable to own.

Similar to Ed's comments:

I have a 2004 Crown Bridge Ko'Aloha Tenor KTM-00(?) and a 2017 KTM-00. Both have Living Waters Low-G strings on them.

Both have the uni-brace design, but the brace is thicker in the 2004 than in the 2017. (Thickness of the wood it was cut from.) Plus the center hole opening in the unibrace is bigger in the 2017 version.

The sound is similar, but the 2004 seems thinner and brighter. While the 2017 has more base, is slightly more resonant and the sound seems more open. Which is to be expected if the bracing is lighter. Otherwise, koa grain, finish and the construction is very close. The heel and the bridge are the biggest cosmetic changes between the two.

To me it sounds as though they tweaked the build to produce a bigger, more booming sound in the 2017 build.

They are both very nice sounding tenors and easy to play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom