New Fretbroad

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I had the Magic Fluke put another new fretboard on another Fluke yesterday. I bought this one a couple of weeks ago from someone here, but I prefer the look and feel of the wooden fretboard.

After replacing the board, they gave me several different size saddles and shims in case I wanted to make adjustments with the slightly thicker board. Before and after pictures are below.

I'd like to have someone paint a scene on this one, so if you have any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them. A couple of weeks ago, a friend painted another Fluke for me. (below)

01.jpg 02.jpg 02-2.jpg

There seems to be several art societies in the Catskills, you probably know them already. I found a page on FaceBook called "Hudson Valley Street Art" which has some interesting work shown. A small ukulele could be a challenge to some of the artists who normally paint buildings.

Good idea. I have to get out and take more pictures of those painted buildings.

Just curious how expensive it is to change from poly fretboard to wooden. I like the new look. I’m Sure once you settle on nut saddle combination it will be a great played. I’m also curious if the wood fretboard makes it sound or
Uke play any better or different. I have a poly fretboard on my tenor Fluke and it’s been fine. I purchased a back up fretboard in poly just to have in case of wear. Funny, I have no fret wear at all.

Let me know what you think once you’ve strung the Fluke up and played it awhile. I asked about doing this a few years ago and was directed to sell my Fluke and buy new Fluke with wooden fretboard because the labour was going to make it expensive. Now, that I think of it, I don’t think I ever got a price.

If more comfortable, you can PM me with comments.
Thanks.

Just curious how expensive it is to change from poly fretboard to wooden. I like the new look. I’m Sure once you settle on nut saddle combination it will be a great played. I’m also curious if the wood fretboard makes it sound or
Uke play any better or different. I have a poly fretboard on my tenor Fluke and it’s been fine. I purchased a back up fretboard in poly just to have in case of wear. Funny, I have no fret wear at all.

Let me know what you think once you’ve strung the Fluke up and played it awhile. I asked about doing this a few years ago and was directed to sell my Fluke and buy new Fluke with wooden fretboard because the labour was going to make it expensive. Now, that I think of it, I don’t think I ever got a price.

If more comfortable, you can PM me with comments.
Thanks.

If you order the wooden board with a new uke, it costs $79. If you bring or send your uke to them, it costs $79. They didn't charge me for the labor on two jobs. I don't expect to notice a difference in sound or play-ability, but I much prefer the look of the wood, and the plastic board had frets that were a bit worn.

The strings are still off it, as are the tuners. I ordered geared tuners with wooden knobs, but they won't be here for two weeks or more (from China). I'd like to get something painted on it, too, so I don't expect to be putting it together any time soon. I have a cheap case arriving for it in a few days. The seller was offering it with a case, but shipping a larger, heavier package from CA would have raised the shipping cost too much.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R0YGCPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KZH6ZDF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you order the wooden board with a new uke, it costs $79. If you bring or send your uke to them, it costs $79. They didn't charge me for the labor on two jobs. I don't expect to notice a difference in sound or play-ability, but I much prefer the look of the wood, and the plastic board had frets that were a bit worn.

Did you just show up at MF to have the board changed, and they did they do it right there on the spot, or did you need to make an appointment?

I had both standard and wooden board Flea concerts at the same time once, and noticed that the metal frets on the wooden board version were higher, which I preferred; it was just a better feel for me. Also, the frets on the wooden board version were much easier to see, improving my accuracy, as my eyes and fingers get older.

Did you just show up at MF to have the board changed, and they did they do it right there on the spot, or did you need to make an appointment?

I had both standard and wooden board Flea concerts at the same time once, and noticed that the metal frets on the wooden board version were higher, which I preferred; it was just a better feel for me. Also, the frets on the wooden board version were much easier to see, improving my accuracy, as my eyes and fingers get older.

I emailed ahead of time, and we agreed on a date and time. It took less than three hours altogether, but it also depends on how busy they are. They have to allow time for the glue to dry. There is also $4.94 in sales tax.

Jerry, just want to say that I am inspired by your enthusiasm for all things ukulele. The same can be said of many other Forum members too, each with her or his own perspective. I tend to go back and forth between guitar and uke, but always seem to come back to the uke, which was my first-ever introduction to the concept of a stringed instrument, back in seventh grade (more than fifty years ago!). And as much as I love the guitar, there's something about the ukulele that always brings me back. I love its portability; its uncluttered simplicity; and the challenge and fun of "making it work" with just those four strings! Question: Can the Magic Fluke folks do a tenor-scale fret board on a "Flea" body? I've had a tenor Fluke before, but can't recall ever seeing a tenor Flea. I love the tenor scale, but prefer the Flea body over the Fluke body. Thanks!

<<Question: Can the Magic Fluke folks do a tenor-scale fret board on a "Flea" body? I've had a tenor Fluke before, but can't recall ever seeing a tenor Flea. I love the tenor scale, but prefer the Flea body over the Fluke body.>>

I'm pretty sure that MF can build a Flea with a tenor neck, as a custom order, but they don't show that on their website. I believe that UU member Booli has/had one of those.

<<Question: Can the Magic Fluke folks do a tenor-scale fret board on a "Flea" body? I've had a tenor Fluke before, but can't recall ever seeing a tenor Flea. I love the tenor scale, but prefer the Flea body over the Fluke body.>>

I'm pretty sure that MF can build a Flea with a tenor neck, as a custom order, but they don't show that on their website. I believe that UU member Booli has/had one of those.

I'm sure they can, but I have no idea of the price, since it's not a standard operation.

Seventh-grade me was playing ukulele in my bedroom, too. If only I'd stuck with it, I might be quite good by now!

Jerry, just want to say that I am inspired by your enthusiasm for all things ukulele. The same can be said of many other Forum members too, each with her or his own perspective. I tend to go back and forth between guitar and uke, but always seem to come back to the uke, which was my first-ever introduction to the concept of a stringed instrument, back in seventh grade (more than fifty years ago!). And as much as I love the guitar, there's something about the ukulele that always brings me back. I love its portability; its uncluttered simplicity; and the challenge and fun of "making it work" with just those four strings! Question: Can the Magic Fluke folks do a tenor-scale fret board on a "Flea" body? I've had a tenor Fluke before, but can't recall ever seeing a tenor Flea. I love the tenor scale, but prefer the Flea body over the Fluke body. Thanks!

Seventh-grade me was playing ukulele in my bedroom, too. If only I'd stuck with it, I might be quite good by now!

Hahahahaha! Well, Ziret, I veered over to the guitar as a freshman in high school, and never came back to the uke until about five years ago; I think I just fell in love with it all over again. Don't worry, I'm sure you're plenty good, and getting better every day!

Jerry, thanks for that. I will email them and ask. I did upgrade to peghed tuners do maybe they will chatge more than the $79 to change fretboard. Good to know,

Nice looking Fluke there! I'll be waiting to see how you paint it.

PS - I just realized, I'm playing that ukulele in my avatar photo in Uganda.

Question: Can the Magic Fluke folks do a tenor-scale fret board on a "Flea" body? I've had a tenor Fluke before, but can't recall ever seeing a tenor Flea. I love the tenor scale, but prefer the Flea body over the Fluke body. Thanks!

They are away for the long weekend, but I should have an answer next week.

I found this online from a newspaper article from 2011.

"Flea: Smaller than the fluke, the flea uke offers easy playability, great sound and plenty of personality. The Flea comes in soprano, concert (15 frets) and tenor (17 frets) sizes."

So, back in 2011, the Flea was offered in the tenor size.

Thanks, Jerry! I'm not sure if I'm going to make a move on this right away, but it's nice to know it's within the realm of possibility!

Thanks, Jerry! I'm not sure if I'm going to make a move on this right away, but it's nice to know it's within the realm of possibility!

Well, the have the bodies, and have three size necks, so it shouldn't be any trouble at all. I've gotten to love their Fleas and Flukes.

Top Bottom