Play Music on the Porch Day

PereBourik

Ukulele don't judge
UU VIP
Reaction score
It’s international. It’s on Facebook. It’s today.

Who else is in?

Does playing in my driveway count? I tried to rustle up some yard sale customers this morning, and played my uke while waiting for anyone to show up. Normally Saturday mornings are prime time for selling used items in the driveway, but I got skunked today. Probably because it's a holiday weekend. Oh well, a few hours sitting in the shade playing my ukulele is a morning well spent.

Too hot today, my porch (balcony actually) faces the sun with no shade. Instead I'm going to the park and meet with 8-10 acoustic players under a big shade tree from noon until 2pm.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

A day late and a dollar short. Commenting that is, I did play my ukulele on the porch yesterday. I enjoy playing on my front porch. Playing my ukulele and singing songs on my porch is actually what I credit for getting me started busking and playing for an audience. When I first started playing out there I would quit playing while someone walked past. Then after a while I kept playing while they walked past. Then after a while when I would see people coming I would play songs that I thought that the people walking past might like. I play a lot of You Ain't Nothin' But A Hound Dog. Lots of people come by walking their dogs. I play kids songs when they come by walking their kids. Finally I started trying to get people to stop and listen for a while. I put out lawn chairs by the sidewalk. So that's one of the ways I got past the "scared to play in front of people" phase of my musical journey. The natural progression for me was to then go out and find places with more pedestrian traffic to play for people passing by. Also I realized that I had to get off the porch if I wanted to make any money because I thought that it might be a little crass of me to put the tip jar down by the sidewalk. I did not know there was a porch playing day but next year I will try to do something special in recognition. Maybe I will put the jar out there just that one day and put a sign out saying that people can show their support for playing on the porch day by putting a buck or two in it. Marketing is everything. :)

Last edited:
A day late, but my buddy and I played our Ukuleles on his back porch today.
And 55 years ago, Burl Ives sang, “On the front porch with you” in the movie Summer Magic

No way, it was way too hot here. It's as dumb as a Pride parade on June 30th. People have died.
Now, make it December through April...I'm there!

On Saturday I played on the porch as it were at my mother in law Cabin place by the lake, friends and family members were out in the water floating around, me on the cement patio/apron along the North side of the building, strumming through some songs and occasionally singing.....didn't even know I was participating in an international event..

Thanks for responding, everybody. I had fun and it got me out of my shell a little bit.

Saturday, August 29, 2020. Make your plans now.

It was cold in Melbourne, Australia but we still had a great time.
216F9214-E365-4B99-B651-611FB72EC8AB.jpg
516295B4-3718-4771-92AB-EEDB93E3001A.jpg
D5639873-4426-4157-AA26-4DFD4894E669.jpg

Top Bottom