Interesting Ukulele experience

jnicholes

Reaction score
Hello,

So, I had an interesting experience with my ukulele today. I went to church today, and I was told that I needed to work with the kids. I went to the room that they meet, a lady was playing a lot of songs on the piano. Children's church songs to be exact. I just happened to have my ukulele with me at the time. Because the song book has chords for guitar and ukulele, I was able to join in.

I joined in, and I basically accompanied the piano. It was pretty interesting. I accompanied so you could hear the ukulele, but not drown out the piano at the same time. It was actually a little difficult at first, but then it got easier. It sounded very pretty!

It was good experience! Has anyone else here ever accompanied for a piano before?

Jared

I play my ukulele in the worship band at my church every Sunday. We have a piano, one electric guitar, two acoustic guitars, my uke, and 5-6 total vocalists. We are all plugged in to the church sound system. I’ve been playing in the band for almost two years. Blending everyone, and managing our tempo & timing, can be a challenge, but I absolutely love it. I got brave and played a solo prelude last month when our piano guy was out of town.

I hope you can continue to play at church. It’s a really cool way to enhance your worship experience.

Well, I didn't realize there was someone else who did that at church here! That's so nice to know that! Yes, managing the tempo and timing can be quite a challenge. In my experience, it depends on the song. Some of the ones that played today were pretty simple, but others that I've been trying to play can be pretty difficult. It can depend on the song Sometimes, am I right?

Maybe I'll use that acapella app I heard about and see if I can do a piano ukulele duet. That way I can show you guys!

Once when our group had a gig at a local nursing home a few of us were hanging around after it was over, there was a piano there. One member who was an accomplished piano player gave us the chord progression to Night and Day, and she played the piano and we accompanied her on our ukuleles. It was a blast, especially when she started improvising over the chord progression. It sounded great and it felt great. Would love to do that again.

I play with an acoustic group on Sundays in a local park for 2 hours, but when the weather is not so good, we meet in a small room in a local church with an upright piano. One of our members will play it every-so-often with a song and it really enhances everything.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Nope, but I played Amazing Grace with an organ once.
MY uke used to sit by my piano, does that count?

I've never played along with a piano.
As to the video: I really like what you did there. It fit perfectly, in my opinion. :cool:

If a jam session counts technically yeah but I was on bass and two others were on ukuleles and the rest on guitar.

Top Bottom