Name of this chord

NOTLguy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this chord could be called? Tab 2021

Thanks, Bill

Who cares what the name of that chord is, when it suits to play in some song. Passing note is a good guess too.

I'm just curious, since I don't use tabs -- in the OP, does 2021 start with the lowest-note string, or the highest-note string? I guess re-entrant tuning would complicate my question, so I'll put it this way -- is the first number the G string, or the A string? (I'm assuming you're using GCEA tuning).

0003 is C. We ukers have a very nice way of using just numbers and then everyone is free to choose how to finger them. It is not a tab thing exactly. I myself like regular music notation for melody, but tabs are also important in a sense with re-entrant ukulele.

Guitar with 6 six strings I don't like that that numbering thing as much.

Of course we first curse everyone to hell if they use it backwards in this forum, but then forgive afterwards ;)

Last edited:
This is the song that contains the ‘unknown chord’.

Verse 1
G(2) Gmaj7(2) G6(4)
Jingle bell jingle bell jingle bell rock
G6(2) E7(2) Am(2) D7(2)
Jingle bells swing and jingle bells ring
Am(2) D7(2) Am(2) D7(2)
Snowin’ and blowin’ up bushels of fun
Am (4) Unknown(4) 2021
Now the jingle hop has begun

Bill

Thanks Bill, for the explanation of how tab numbers work.

In Jingle Bell Rock, in the key you're in, the chord on "has begun" usually is played as a D+5, meaning a D chord with an augmented (sharped) fifth, or sharped A. The notes would be (starting with the root) D - F# - A#. You could get that by using x221. Playing the first "2" (on the G string) wouldn't work with that chord, because it would be an A natural. You could play a "3" on the G string, but that would give you two A#s in the chord, and I don't know that it would sound that good. Other folks may know of other inversions you could use for that chord.

Hi Bill, for that particular song, try this fingering at the location of the unknown chord: 0312, and see if that sounds like a good fit. (P.S. John Boy's observations are extremely on the mark as well; I think different artists performing that song have been known to opt for differing interpretations of what chord goes there, so I guess we're always free to do our own thing with it!)

Last edited:
Notes are A C F# Bb

GuitarToolkit also says C13#11, but I dunno, leading back to G, I think a D7 variant makes more sense. I'd call it D7#5

I add open string on 6th (see the yellow arrow in the figure below). It is 0x2021 on EADGBE tuning. It is said G13b5/E. We can call xx2021 G13b5 on EADGBE tuning. We can call 2021 C13b5 on GCEA tuning.
There is no xx2021 on this app, hence I added open E.

Last edited:
Notes are A C F# Bb

GuitarToolkit also says C13#11, but I dunno, leading back to G, I think a D7 variant makes more sense. I'd call it D7#5

^^This.

It leads back to the G chord so calling it a D7#5 (D7 aug.) makes the most sense in this case, even if the D root isn't being played in the 2021 fingering.

Try replacing it with this D7#5: 3223, or this one: 5665, and they'll fit the tune like the rootless D7#5 (2021) does.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. As I play by ear, when I transposed this song to this key, the 2021 fingering just sounded right but I did not know what to call it for the benefit of the rest of the players in my group. I think D7#5 is what I will go with, keeping the chord as 2021 fingering.

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. As I play by ear, when I transposed this song to this key, the 2021 fingering just sounded right but I did not know what to call it for the benefit of the rest of the players in my group. I think D7#5 is what I will go with, keeping the chord as 2021 fingering.

Regards,
Bill

I looked up the song in the big gig book where it is in the key of C. Transposed the chord in question there would be a D+7 (augmented = D7+5 or D7#5) tab 3223. Also in line 2 where you have an E7 it should be G#o (diminished) which is similar to E7 but has an additional g# on the E string.

Last edited:
Top Bottom