Romero ukes...low G only?

I recently purchased a Romero ST (tenor body, concert scale, soprano length) and it came strung with a wound low G. I'd be curious too to hear how it might sound reentrant. I doubt I'll ever change it though. It sounds so fantastic strung with a low G and I have 4 other ukes I can play reentrant.

I tried a XS Soprano with a high g-string for a short time. It sounded just as great as with the low g-string. But I feel like giving away the big advantage theses instruments offer: being designed for a low-g tuning, I think, they live up to their full potential with a linear tuning. And I agree with mikelz777, I have other ukes to be played re-entrant.

EDIT: I just remembered I recorded one single video with the re-entrant tuned XS soprano. It's a German song, though, but to get an idea of the uke sound, it might do. It's the budget model, by the way, the laminate mahogany body with the solid spruce top. The strings are the re-entrant Romero fluorocarbon strings.

https://youtu.be/w7oHxF7Nb-g

Last edited:
I had HMS set up my solid spruce top/ mahogany laminate with high g. It sounds great. In a year and a half playing it I recently put a low g on it........I didn’t like it but then I have never played low G. I would really like to get an all solid wood TT in spruce and mahogany. Great instruments. All y tenors are high g. YMMV

I had HMS set up my solid spruce top/ mahogany laminate with high g. It sounds great. In a year and a half playing it I recently put a low g on it........I didn’t like it but then I have never played low G. I would really like to get an all solid wood TT in spruce and mahogany. Great instruments. All y tenors are high g. YMMV

For me it took a while to get on board with a low G. I had tried it on a different uke years ago but it just wasn't working for me. It was such a different sound after having played reentrant for so long. After a while I gave up on it and switched it back to reentrant. I knew the Romero was going to come with a low G so I told myself that I'd give it another shot and if I still didn't like it I could always change it to a high G. When I started playing the Romero with the low G, it sounded great but the low G was still throwing me. I started playing a wide variety of songs from my song books and the sound started to grow on me. I really liked the fuller sound the low G afforded. Now I'm finding it hard to put it down. I'll admit, there are some songs I like to play that sound better with a reentrant uke but most still sound great with a low G. Maybe I like it now because it's on a uke with a tenor sound. My prior attempt with a low G was on a concert. Anyway, the Romero is most likely going to stay a low G uke. My other 4 are reentrant.

Yes, it is odd that all their ukes seem to come with a low G. I recently got an XS Soprano with high G, and it sounds fine. I've ordered some low G string sets, and I'll put one on eventually. My Tiny Tenor has a low G, and that sound very nice.

Top Bottom