PDA

View Full Version : Do you still have your first one?

fingerguy
09-06-2019, 07:02 AM
I don't have my first instrument at all (guitar & bass) yet thinking when I get my 3rd ukulele that I might just donate my first one that cost me $47 to Goodwill. But then something stops me.

Oldtoolie
09-06-2019, 07:07 AM
I don't have it but someone in my club has it.

pix.fairydust
09-06-2019, 07:16 AM
I don't have mine - I gifted it to my friend :)

stevejfc
09-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Yeah, still have mine 15 years later. Have probably had 50 ukes since then, many of them come in and gone out,...………..but will always keep the 1st.

kvehe
09-06-2019, 07:21 AM
Yes, I have mine.

bratsche
09-06-2019, 08:10 AM
My first uke is sitting right by my desk in its case, the Pono MBD(2), a Buy-it-Now I was lucky to find on eBay several years ago.

bratsche

Croaky Keith
09-06-2019, 08:28 AM
I gave away 6 of my first bought ukes, but I kept my 4th uke purchase, that's my Kala KA-SLNG long neck soprano, it's often what I pick up just to noodle on. :music:

merlin666
09-06-2019, 09:01 AM
I still have my first guitar that I have now owned for more than 40 years. But for my first uke I went cheap and got one of those Alulu ones from e-Bay. It was junk and not worth keeping around. Lesson learned ... you get what you pay for (and sometimes less).

RafterGirl
09-06-2019, 09:43 AM
I gifted my first one to my teenage surrogate granddaughter, who then brought it along on our river rafting trips so we could jam together.

captain-janeway
09-06-2019, 11:03 AM
Swapped mine for a concert same model. The tenor was too big. Love it and play it every day

RosieKamozie
09-06-2019, 12:02 PM
I have my first: Mainland mahogany satin concert. It happened to be a great fit for me...even after I tried out a lot of other brands, tonewoods, and sizes, I still come back to it regularly as a daily player and travel Uke. I’m a bit sentimental about it too so I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of it.

gochugogi
09-06-2019, 02:23 PM
My first dozen or so guitars have faded into the mists of time. Wish I still owned a couple of them, e.g., 1963 Epiphone Sorrento and 1972 Les Paul Custom. However, I till own and play my first 'ukulele, a Pono MT-E from 6 or 7 years ago. It was rather soft and bright at first and now is full and sweet in tone.

jer
09-06-2019, 02:38 PM
I do not. I have never had an instrument that I attached such sentimental value to that I would never let it go. My first uke was nice though as it was one of the early Flukes. I can't even remember who I sold it to. My first stringed instrument was guitar, so I had already gone through some instruments there before I even touched an ukulele.

meppmb
09-06-2019, 02:45 PM
I don't have my first instrument at all (guitar & bass) yet thinking when I get my 3rd ukulele that I might just donate my first one that cost me $47 to Goodwill. But then something stops me.

Yes I have mine, Islander MT by Kanile'a. And I'll be keeping it. :o)

actadh
09-06-2019, 02:46 PM
I have never given up a uke. My first one was a Luna solid spruce top set up by HMS. Nice little player.

Nickie
09-06-2019, 05:13 PM
Nope.
But I still have my 3rd one, a Kala I got from Mim. It's my backup/beater uke, cause it has a pickup in it.

Kenn2018
09-06-2019, 06:36 PM
Yes, I still have the Fender Nohea tenor that was my first. I bought it on Amazon because I had a couple of gift cards. I had read that Koa was the best wood for ukuleles in some reviews. I thought the Fender headstock looked different and it was made of Koa! Wrong! It's a koa laminate body. I knew nothing about setups. It practically took a pair of Vicegrips to barre the 1st fret. Even after a setup it's still difficult to play and the fret ends are very sharp.

I debate about donating it because it's so difficult to play. It has a definite laminate sound.

mikhou
09-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Yep. My first was an Ohana CK-10 purchased from and setup by Mim. I only have one other - an Ohana TK-50G. I still enjoy that little concert. Between the two, I prefer it for rhythm and strumming.

keenonuke
09-06-2019, 07:34 PM
I still own the Koaloha KTM and I plan to keep it. :-)

Jan D
09-06-2019, 08:52 PM
I recently re-homed my first ukulele (an early Fluke) to a neighbor friend. It was the only one of my ukes that she felt comfortable playing. I miss it from time to time, but fortunately it's only a couple of houses away from me, and I have visiting rights. :-)
Jan D.

kohanmike
09-06-2019, 09:08 PM
Don't have my first ukulele, a Mahalo Tele style I bought for $60 about six years ago on a whim because it looked my real Fender Telecaster, just as a wall hanger. Then I signed up for a ukulele play along and discovered it was a soprano, which I couldn't finger very well, so I bought a tenor. I sold the Mahalo for $35 to a member of the uke group I also joined at the time. Also, I played guitar for almost 50 years before the uke, and because I'm so completely taken over by the uke (and bass uke), I gave away my four guitars.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

PetalumaRescuke
09-06-2019, 09:25 PM
Yup, It's a Gretch soprano probably 50s. It means a lot to me even though I don't play it much as Martins are always at hand.

jimavery
09-06-2019, 10:40 PM
If I recall correctly, my first one broke, or rather one of the tuners did. Back then before the internet and resurgence of popularity of the ukulele, finding a replacement tuner was nigh impossible so I threw it away and only 15 or so years later bought another which I haven't kept either because the intonation on it was so awful! Generally I tend not to get attached to things. My family are horrified that I threw away my childhood teddy bear.

vonbiber
09-06-2019, 10:57 PM
My first one was a soprano Lanikai. I gave it to a friend after I bought a Martin soprano and a Ohana sopranino.

TopDog
09-06-2019, 11:45 PM
My first was a Mahalo painted cheapo,bought to see if I could make anything of the instrument (as a former guitarist) before moving on. I gave it away many years ago, to a fellow beginner, as I had picked up about three more,better quality instruments by that time!

Jerryc41
09-07-2019, 12:47 AM
Yes, I do. It's a no-name soprano that I bought in an ABC store on the Big Island in 2002.

Rllink
09-07-2019, 03:49 AM
I do not. I have never had an instrument that I attached such sentimental value to that I would never let it go.I do have my first one and I don't keep it because of any sentimental value. I keep it because it is a pretty good sounding ukulele, I got next to nothing invested in it, and it has proven indestructible. I still play it often.

mjh42
09-07-2019, 04:38 AM
I haven't been at this ukulele adventure all that long compared to many and yes I do still have a the concert fluke that is my first uke. It's in my avatar photo.

fowl
09-07-2019, 04:45 AM
I still have mine. It is a soprano Flea, a great uke. Still play it every day.

frolicks
09-07-2019, 04:50 AM
I gave my first uke to a friend, who was new to it, and she liked the size and the sound very much. It was a Kala tenor exotic mahogany. Initially, I thought I couldn't sell it, as it was my first one. So I lent it to her. After about a year or so, I realized I wasn't really missing it, and as it wasn't a particularly rare or special instrument, I sold it to her.
I still have my second one, though. That's a tenor Flea I ordered from Magic Fluke. I wouldn't give that away. Even though there are long phases without me playing it (I do have about a dozen, or maybe more, I refuse to count them, so I don't have to lie to my wife when she asks me how many I have...). It's lovely, and it was the first "custom ukulele" (so to say...) I ever got.

EDIT: Just realised, this was my 100th post here... a very well fitting subject, I find.