FS: Renaissance guitar

Dusepo

Reaction score
[Edit: Thanks for all your interest. This is now sold. ]

Scale length of 50cm, tuned gG cc ee aa like a taropatch uke.
£200 (approx. €222, US$246) plus shipping or PM me an offer.
I ship worldwide, PM me for shipping costs to your country.
Soundboard: German/Alpine Spruce. Back and sides: European Ash, European Cherry. Neck: European Alder. Fingerboard: Swiss Pear. Bridge: Silver Birch. Pegbox: European Ash. Pegs: Boxwood.

More info about the renaissance guitar: https://home.cs.dartmouth.edu/~lsa/aboutLute/RenaissanceGuitar.html

renguitar_front.jpg

renguitar_back.jpg

renguitar_3.jpg

renguitar_4.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely work Jo, I've visited your website & your instruments look amazing, well done :D Is there any chance of a little video sound sample for this instrument? I'd really love to hear it being played :D

Thanks for your kind words! Here's a quick sound sample, sorry for phone quality: https://youtu.be/PN0RnqXsAbA

Can I ask where in the world you are? Then I quote the shipping cost and/or the price in your currency. We can continue chatting by PM if you prefer to not share that publically.

Curious as to what kind of finish you use? Also, how long is your turnaround and waiting list?

Doc

build me one please Jo.
my pm thing doesn't work for some reason.
please email me here and we can talk about it.
i have admired all your instruments for some time.
singtomeofautumnleaves at gmail dot com

build me one please Jo.
my pm thing doesn't work for some reason.
please email me here and we can talk about it.
i have admired all your instruments for some time.
singtomeofautumnleaves at gmail dot com

I have e-mailed you as requested.

Thanks for all your interest. This is now sold.

I suspect that someone got a bargain, well the £200 price I saw in your original post seemed far far too little for the work involved. Your website doesn’t quote prices, if you showed more about the Ukes that you build there and your prices then I believe that you’d get a lot of interest. Some very skilled work shown on your website.

If it’s OK I have two questions about the build.
# the frets are barely visible to me in your photos, what are they made of, how are they installed, what’s the historic reasons, etc?
# the bridge arrangement is different to what I’m used to seeing. I’m wondering how the strings are attached and where they ‘break’ on the bridge.

Thanks in anticipation of your answers, I hope that you don’t mind me asking.

Last edited:
I suspect that someone got a bargain, well the £200 price I saw in your original post seemed far far too little for the work involved. Your website doesn’t quote prices, if you showed more about the Ukes that you build there and your prices then I believe that you’d get a lot of interest. Some very skilled work shown on your website.

If it’s OK I have two questions about the build.
# the frets are barely visible to me in your photos, what are they made of, how are they installed, what’s the historic reasons, etc?
# the bridge arrangement is different to what I’m used to seeing. I’m wondering how the strings are attached and where they ‘break’ on the bridge.

Thanks in anticipation of your answers, I hope that you don’t mind me asking.

Sorry for my delay in replying, I only just noticed your questions.

My website does quote prices. Look under the contact section (maybe I should move them to somewhere more obvious). Since you ask about my ukuleles, here's a thread where I posted a recent one I've built: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?140735-A-soprano-uke-I-was-commissioned-to-build

The frets on instruments from this era were made of gut tied round the neck. I use nylon, but otherwise the process is the same. This is because the western 12-tone system we use today had not been formalised yet, so they could be moved to accommodate different systems. It also gives a slightly different sound. Many instruments from around the world still use tied frets for similar reasons, for instance the Turkish lavta and saz.

The bridge is also typical of the era - it's the same design as used on lutes. The strings wrap round the bridge in the same way as a classical guitar, but minus the saddle. Therefore the break point is where the string wraps around itself.

Top Bottom