HMS Tenor shootout

RafterGirl

Reaction score
For all your tenor junkies out there, today's HMS podcast is a comparison of 9 of their high end tenors. Check it out and post your faves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0i...-64985645&mc_cid=4e6f5621b3&mc_eid=77745b2b6f

Your can fast forward through all the chit chat if you want, and just listen to each ukulele being played (they list the time stamp for each one). However, they do discuss the build, aesthetics, and wood choices for each uke, so it's interesting to listen to their comments.

I'm strictly a concert scale player, but these tenors are all outstanding, with subtle & not so subtle differences in sound. My personal faves were the LFDM, Hive, and I'iwi.

I'm home sick with a head cold, so this was a nice way to spend the morning.....drooling over beautiful ukuleles.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I'm glad that I'm a concert scale player, too, or I'd be figuring out how to raise the $ for some of these amazing ukuleles.

Thanks for the link. I'm glad that I'm a concert scale player, too, or I'd be figuring out how to raise the $ for some of these amazing ukuleles.

Ain't that the truth. Temptation is all around us. They did have an I'iwi concert last month.

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well, RafterGirl. I hope you're better soon. Thanks for the link, I will give that a listen!

That was nice! I’d take any of those ukes. Listening to the guys talk about the builders, etc. made me like the ukes even more. Thanks for sharing.

My word, those are some beautiful ukes. Look great, sound great. Thanks again for the link, Rafter. It's great drooling material. Feel better soon.

Yeah that was fun. I listened on headphones and it was quite interesting- Aaron did a good job. The Hive and the Ko’olau were standouts for me

Thanks for posting link. Great pod cast. Nice to see Aaron visiting. He sold me my first Uke from main store many years ago when I was in Hawaii. Great bunch at HMS, real people, great service. I loved all the high end tenors. Guess only budget and playing would help me decide. Ha ha

Thanks for posting link. Great pod cast. Nice to see Aaron visiting. He sold me my first Uke from main store many years ago when I was in Hawaii. Great bunch at HMS, real people, great service. I loved all the high end tenors. Guess only budget and playing would help me decide. Ha ha
Yes. It was great seeing Aaron. I had been wondering about him lately.

Another good video of the LFdM baritone from 2017.

https://vimeo.com/213408051

It sure is Hodge.

I had the pleasure of playing this ukulele before Luis sent it out. It is unique and I will shed some light on this.

It is made with the large baritone LfdM body. Much larger then a normal baritone, almost tenor guitar size. The customer asked for a 19” scale length (LfdM baritones come standard with 22-1/4” scale length). It was also specified that the instrument be able to be strung like a tenor GCEA. With different strings you can go down to DGBE and anywhere in between.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the link! Fun to watch some wonderful instruments......need to go on the website and see what is left.........if only for smiles .....

The Hive, the Wiemer, the Lotus Acoustics, the Kanile'a Pineapple.....which one do I choose.......

Last edited:
I was quite impressed with all of them.

Really intrigued with the Pigeon Tree Spruce Ebony.

Anybody have a tulip wood instrument where the color has aged to the darker "chocolate' color they talked about?

The Hive was lovely sounding.

Top Bottom