My Custom resonator Uke is finished.

AQUATOPAZ

Reaction score
I am so excited. I don't know how long it will take to ship, but I had a pickup installed, so I'll have to learn about pedals to take advantage of Black Friday. Wish it would have made it in time for my birthday, but it will be my Christmas present to myself.ukefront.jpguke whole.jpg I tried to upload a video but it didn't work.

Beautiful!!! Who’s the maker?

Here’s mine:
BB657D96-0DDE-4196-9D8D-1D51A9DCE047.jpg

Attachments

• C5482191-8173-4173-B1B8-833FFDE164B1.jpg
    C5482191-8173-4173-B1B8-833FFDE164B1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 24
Looks very cool. Do resonator ukes use a different type of string, or can they use any uke string?

Beautiful metalwork! Was it cast, etched, or machined?

Fabulous! Really lovely Art Nouveau style design. Congratulations! Can't wait to hear it.

It is a wonderful looking instrument.
Resonators have a very delicate cone, I suggest checking with the maker about strings to make sure you do not put too much tension on the cone. I had to get a cone replaced because of using strings with tension too high. Alternate tunings can also increase tension. Now I just stick to the recommended strings and tuning. Nylon strings are generally low tension, so most other strings will have a higher tension than nylon.

I've been using fluoros on my 2 resonators, a Luna and a National, so I think it should be fine. Thanks for the advice.

If this is a custom build why aren't you asking for the strings you want?

If this is a custom build why aren't you asking for the strings you want?

I would have had to send them and forgot to. I was thinking about nut width, passive as opposed to active pickup, and just didn't think about it in time. I didn't expect him to have finished it for a few months.

Last edited:
Wow!! How completely gorgeous, big congratulations :D Do you need a special pickup for a Resonator?

I have a National Guitar Resonator Ukulele that was restored at National. While there I had them install a pickup and it was a special pickup designed for resonators. I'm not sure of the pickup brand but will look it up if you're interested.

Many thanks, l have read that resonators can be a little problematic when it comes to pickups, that’s why I thought I’d take to opportunity to ask :D

There are 2 types specifically for resonators. Mya Moe would install the Schatten, which fits on the saddle on top of the biscuit, ( accidentally called it biscuit bridge), and the Fishman which sits under the brdge. They are both supposed to be great.The Fishman costs twice as much. I figured if Mya Moe likes the Schatten, they must be very good.

Top Bottom