NUD: Bonanzalele Concert

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
This is my third uke from Pete and Shelley Mai, aka Bonanza Ukuleles. I hadn't intended on getting this one so soon after the second, but these officially launched very shortly after I placed the order for the eggplant SLN, and I just had to get back in line for one of these.

Specs:
Concert scale
Butterscotch retro laminate top
Cherry+aspen body and head plate
Cherry neck, arm rest, fingerboard
Graphtec Ratio tuners
Reentrant gCEA with Seaguar fluorocarbon leader line

This is a hybrid instrument. It's not a banjo uke, but it goes in that direction with a wood back resonator, open body, and laminate top in lieu of a skin or drum head.

The sound is kinda between a "real" uke and a banjo uke too. More attack and less sustain, though the sustain is more than I expected. That might have to do with my choice of fluorocarbon strings instead of the usual Aquilas which I've never really liked the feel of.

The other change I requested was the funky top pattern instead of the standard white with "Lil Jo" graphic. Just too kitschy for me. :rofl: I'm not worried about resale. :p

As usual, the setup is great and the uke is very comfortable to play.

I probably wouldn't recommend this as a first or only ukulele, but if you're looking for something distinctly different, look no further.

Here are some pics on imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/nPShANI

And I'll post a few here:
s6R6Ej9l.jpg
ItI2VCZl.jpg

Thanks for showing! I'm not allowed to bring a banjo into the house but this might be able to sneak by, its a round ukulele��. Saw the review that Baz did a while back......like your choice of head design better as well.

So appreciate you sharing Jim, so nicely crafted and I am excited to hear a sound sample if you get the opportunity to post one. As I have stated in past I own an Oreo and it will definitely not be my only Bonanza instrument.

Thanks again,

Steve.

I love the top on your Bonanzalele. Really fun! Can't wait for your sound sample.

Thanks for sharing here - that one looks really neat!

Jim you are the “Grand Boobha” of unique and unusual, this fits right in. It is a very well executed design, I love the side shot, really smart. The strings going through the arm rest is crazy......as in crazy cool.

Now that's very interesting and unique. Nice.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Jim you are the “Grand Boobha” of unique and unusual, this fits right in. It is a very well executed design, I love the side shot, really smart. The strings going through the arm rest is crazy......as in crazy cool.

Amen! Very cool !

Excellent review, Jim. You covered it all, and very thoroughly. Thanks!

Top Bottom