I'm looking for a neck...

ukebrudder

UU+
Reaction score
...preferably a tenor or baritone neck. I too, would like to try my hand at building a cigar box ukulele, but the thought of trying to fabricate the neck scares the hell out of me. I already did the research and I know the grizzly kits are only $23, but I feel that the uke will end up sitting around collecting dust if it's only soprano sized.... Like my soprano banjo uke.

If there is anyone out there with a damaged uke that would be willing to salvage the neck, or if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I can acquire a neck(via company, or ukulele builder), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Brudder,

I've built a number of cigar box ukes (all sopranos) using recycled necks from broken ukes. I can't help you find a neck, but would like to mention that for the tenor or bari scales you will need quite a large cigar box. Try to find one big enough to place the bridge at least three inches from the end of the box. Too close to the edge, and the sound will suffer, badly.

Have fun. They can be great sounding instruments!

Ukantor.

Hi Brudder,

I've built a number of cigar box ukes (all sopranos) using recycled necks from broken ukes. I can't help you find a neck, but would like to mention that for the tenor or bari scales you will need quite a large cigar box. Try to find one big enough to place the bridge at least three inches from the end of the box. Too close to the edge, and the sound will suffer, badly.

Have fun. They can be great sounding instruments!

Ukantor.

I never would have thought about that. I knew I needed a big box but I didn't know it would sound bad if the bridge was placed too close to the edge. Makes sense though.

Thanks!

Top Bottom