Sanded my saddle a bit too low T_T

kissing

Reaction score
I was trying to lower the action on my Kala Tenor (ASM-TEC), and it appears as though I've gone a bit too far with the saddle :eek:
(Bottom of string to top of 12th fret measures about 2mm)

The only problem is that the C string has a tiny tiny bit of fret buzz when I close it on the first three frets and pluck hard :(
It's not *very* noticeable... is it even normal for some ukes with a comfortable low action?

Nevertheless, I was wondering how I could fix this.
Do I replace the saddle?
If so, where do I buy spare saddles that will fit my Kala tenor?

Would these work?
http://www.hanalimastore.com/servlet/Detail?no=76

Thanks

Last edited:
With alot of ukes 3mm at the 12th is the best you can do without the strings starting to buzz off the frets. Is the saddle glued in? Hopefully it can be easily removed, try putting a real thin shim under the saddle until you can find a replacement.

Fortunately the saddle comes out (that's how I sanded it).
But I would like a replacement saddle that isn't as low :(

Home improvement stores has counter top (formica) sample cards. These are thin and rigid. I have uses a fine saw as well as an exacto knife to saw or score these to create shims. The might actually be a little thick, but they can be sanded down if needed.

How about you just slide a strip or two of paper underneath and check the buzz until it's gone? If the buzz remains, get a new pair of stringz...

How about you just slide a strip or two of paper underneath and check the buzz until it's gone? If the buzz remains, get a new pair of stringz...

Paper or cardboard might dampen the sound, I think something hard might be better. I've used thin pieces of hard plastic such as is used in alot of packaging.

you can probubly fix it. put a thin piece of paper or cardboard under the saddle until you find someone or something that can fix it. or you can just go the way cheap way and buy some craft popsickle sticks. just slap one of those babies, in place of the saddle and your good to go lol.

On one of our ukes someone (presumably whoever set it up initially) used a flat wooden toothpick under the saddle to raise the action.

It seemed to work fine. We had no idea that had been done until Rich removed the saddle when he installed a pick-up.

did it make you angry when you found out sailqwest? or is it a beater uke.

Dunno about USA but in the UK spare saddles are easy to find and buy on ebay. They're usually overlong, but I just snip em off and sand to height.

I looked and I'm afraid I'm out of spares, or I'd have offered to send one. Sorry 'bout that. :(

Hmm, I think making a shim would be easier and cheaper than buying a whole new saddle and making it fit. But that's just me. I'm sure there are sound advantages if you did go with a new saddle though.

did it make you angry when you found out sailqwest? or is it a beater uke.

It was not a beater uke, it was a mid-range baritone. And it didn't make us mad, it was just a surprise.

The uke was solid mahogany and had a very nice tone. We didn't notice any significant change in sound after removing the toothpick and installing the pick-up, so apparently it worked well for raising the saddle.

Top Bottom