PDA

View Full Version : Which uke would you like to try?

Ukecaster
09-20-2019, 09:40 AM
Just curious which uke you may be itching to try someday, one that you might actually buy? Me, of course I'd like to try some K-brand tenors. But since I don't see myself buying one anytime soon, a more realistic choice would be a tenor Fluke. I've had soprano Fleas, a concert Fluke, and currently have a concert Flea, all of which I've liked, but never tried a tenor Fluke. How about you? If I got one, I'd prefer the wooden fretboard.

UkingViking
09-20-2019, 09:49 AM
I want to try them all, so all those not available locally.

Mostly the concert scales.

A recent Kamaka,
An Ohta San
A Kanilea
A Koaloha
A Cocobolo
Etc etc

kkimura
09-20-2019, 10:15 AM
My answer keeps changing. Today I'd like to try a spruce top baritone.

Counter
09-20-2019, 10:22 AM
A Cedar Kamaka Tenor

merlin666
09-20-2019, 10:32 AM
A concert uke that is made of walnut.

keenonuke
09-20-2019, 10:34 AM
A Beau Hannam and a Moore Bettah. And add a Kinnard, Grimes, LFDM, Weimer and Rick Turner
Oh and a Duane Noble Harp and also his Tenor
Yep - it's all good :-)

CPG
09-20-2019, 11:05 AM
I'd really like to try a Pono AC-T Taropatch. A few months ago there was one at HMS for $350 including a hard case and just when I was about to buy it someone else snagged it. I've seen them at other retailers but everywhere else they cost more and don't include a case. If that deal pops up at HMS ever again I may grab one. I'd take a vintage Martin taropatch to but they are WAY more expensive.

I'd also really like to try a Takumi TS-1M soprano which is the soprano version of my TC-1M. It an interesting soprano in that it has 14 frets to the body but is not a long neck. I think I'd really like it.

I'd also like to try a Pohaku soprano (yes, I realize there is one in the marketplace right now) and a Pohaku concert 10.

kerneltime
09-20-2019, 11:45 AM
I have incoming ukes that I will not list
1. Moore Bettah uke that is not sitka or Koa
2. Steve Grimes
3. Koolau
4. Wiemer
5. Beau Hannam soprano
This is like asking how many breaths would you like to experience and enjoy.. as many as possible

shanmoon
09-20-2019, 11:53 AM
So many ukes to think about..... but lately I'd love to try a Mya-Moe baritone. I've heard they have a lovely thin neck profile.

AQUATOPAZ
09-20-2019, 12:03 PM
I'd love to try a Mya-Moe baritone. I've heard they have a lovely thin neck profile.

Maybe a Fine Resophonics Spider and Biscuit cone. But I am really not interested in trying lots of ukes, trying out ukes, owning a bunch of ukes. I am into playing and enjoying them, and for me that happens with what I own, and wouldn't happen with owning many unless I lived in a mansion, and then I would want one always within reach.

rorym
09-20-2019, 12:46 PM
Blackbird Clara. I don’t dare spend $1300+ sight unseen (hearing unlistened?, touch unfelt?).

Jan D
09-20-2019, 06:49 PM
I would love the opportunity to play a Moonbird (both a soprano and a concert). Want to buy, but first need to try.

kohanmike
09-20-2019, 09:23 PM
i had to think about this for a few minutes. When I bought my Kala solid cedar top tenor cutaway, I compared it to a couple of $1000+ K brands and didn't feel they were 3 times better, so that was my hands on experience. Then I wanted an Ovation tenor but missed out on an eBay auction and ultimately bought a Godin Multiuke in the Marketplace that is a much better instrument. Not long ago a tenor plastic fretboard walnut Fluke came up in the Marketplace and decided to buy it with so much hype I've heard and read, but I don't find it all that comfortable to play with the neck shape.

It would be nice to try a Beau Hannam, Mya Moe, LFdM, Moore Bettah but I don't think I'd actually buy one since I'm so happy with the ones I have.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Croaky Keith
09-21-2019, 12:54 AM
I'd like to try a 19" scaled baritone, (mahogany or cedar), I have 19.75" & 20.125" scales, but they are 'a little bit big' & 'too big', for me, so I reckon the old 19" would be the right scale length for my hands.

I'm not into expensive ukes, just good players, at sensible prices, so no fancy K brands required. :)

Jerryc41
09-21-2019, 02:31 AM
None! If I try it, I'll probably like it and buy it. :)

RafterGirl
09-21-2019, 03:50 AM
I just sat down and made a list of all the ukes I've owned over the 2+ years I've been playing. Quite a variety of brands & sizes. Waterman, Teton, Islander, Bonanza, Famous, Imua, Loprinzi, Gary Gill, KoAloha, aNueNue, and Blackbird. I just picked up a Kanilea for the first time this week. I've always wanted to try one. Now I'm starting down the string experimentation road with it. So many wonderful & ever evolving choices.

kvehe
09-21-2019, 04:10 AM
Hive
Beau Hannam
Jay Lichty

Rllink
09-21-2019, 05:03 AM
A Martin. I don't know why, in fact I haven't thought about it up until this thread, but a Martin.

UkerDanno
09-21-2019, 05:30 AM
Kamaka Ohta-San all premium koa deluxe! :D:shaka:

Something like this...

Snargle
09-21-2019, 05:44 AM
I'd love to get my hands on a Romero Creations Tiny Tenor (probably the solid mahogany model.) Also, a Blackbird Clara would be an interesting experience.

(Funny how I seem to be focused on some non-conventional designs. Probably just a personality trait! :cool:)

Doc_J
09-21-2019, 06:00 AM
Just curious which uke you may be itching to try someday, one that you might actually buy? Me, of course I'd like to try some K-brand tenors. But since I don't see myself buying one anytime soon, a more realistic choice would be a tenor Fluke. I've had soprano Fleas, a concert Fluke, and currently have a concert Flea, all of which I've liked, but never tried a tenor Fluke. How about you? If I got one, I'd prefer the wooden fretboard.

Hmmm.

Next I'd like to try ...

Lichty Modified Baritone
Kala Torrified spruce super tenor
Kanile's TRU-R Baritone
LFdM Super tenor
Petros tenor
Jake model Kamaka tenor

Dohle
09-21-2019, 08:02 AM
I managed to finally tackle my UAS by getting a Kiwaya KTS-7, so for me there aren't that many ukes to aspire for anymore (thankfully). But obviously one has to have at least some goals in life so:

Vintage Martin (style 0, style 1, any really)
Martin style 3
Martin style 5
Kamaka
KoAloha
A custom uke from a revered luthier.

Specifically, a soprano model from that list. I like sopranos. :)

Just Russ
09-22-2019, 03:24 AM
I’d like to try a Hive since I’m saving for one. It’s all blind faith at this point.

I’d also like to try a vintage Martin 1 and 3, as well as a Mya Moe in cherry.

pix.fairydust
09-22-2019, 06:57 AM
I want to try a good quality baritone (kanile'a, kamaka, lfdm or equivalent).
Slightly off topic (sorry) but I wasn't sure if KoAloha do baritone? I don't think I've ever seen any for sale.

Kenn2018
09-22-2019, 06:51 PM
The glib answer would be: any uke I haven't yet had the opportunity to play. The options are nearly endless. I own a few very nice customs at present.

There are several luthier-made tenor styles/models I'd love to be able to try. Probably a number of them that I haven't yet heard of. Any of the "Luthiers for a Cause" tenors made with mahogany from "The Tree."

I hope to some day be able to play an LFdM, Pegasus, Beau Hannam, Lichty, well basically most of the tenor ukuleles sold by "Ukulele Friend". The ONE that I would most like to try is a Rosewood/Spruce Moore Bettah tenor. (Though any wood combination would be fine.) I have never heard nor seen one in person. Let alone held one. In all of the vids I have listened to, the MBs have sounded excellent.

I am fortunate to own a Hive Redwood/Rosewood tenor. Otherwise, that would have been my Number-1 covet to play.

Nickie
09-23-2019, 04:02 PM
A Ken Timms soprano.

Swamp Yankee
09-23-2019, 04:12 PM
I managed to finally tackle my UAS by getting a Kiwaya KTS-7, so for me there aren't that many ukes to aspire for anymore (thankfully)

I’d like to try a Kiwaya KTS-7.... but I know what you mean about Kiwaya putting the kibosh on UAS. I’m quite content with my collection these days. I could part with some ukes by other makers but my core group of Kiwaya Artist Series ukes are staying with me.
Still... I’d like to try a Loprinzi some day.

Dohle
09-23-2019, 10:50 PM
I’d like to try a Kiwaya KTS-7.... but I know what you mean about Kiwaya putting the kibosh on UAS. I’m quite content with my collection these days. I could part with some ukes by other makers but my core group of Kiwaya Artist Series ukes are staying with me.
Still... I’d like to try a Loprinzi some day.

Funnily enough, when I first received the KTS-7 I was massively underwhelmed. The matte finish on it made it feel really cheap, almost plasticy, which made me wonder if I was sent some sort of KTS-7 replica (which of course is already a replica of another uke :D ). Also, the grain on the mahogany top looked really plain and dull. If I had had the chance to try the uke before ordering it I don't know if I would've actually bought it.
Luckily, I realised that my living room lighting is quite dim, so I took the uke under some fluorescent lamps and, my god, the difference was night and day. Looked almost like a completely different uke. And of course the sound it produces is amazing, especially once I changed the stock Fremont Black Lines to Living Waters. I'm still not a huge fan of the matte finish lookswise but it does make the uke feel extremely comfortable in my hands. After the initial disappointment, it has definitely curbed my UAS.

Hasn't curbed my banjolele acquisition syndrome (BAS?) however. I need to add the vintage Gibson banjo ukes to my list. :)

DownUpDave
09-24-2019, 02:49 AM
If I walked into a room full of dream ukes I would love to try a Moore Bettah , Hive and Beau Hannam

Doc_J
09-24-2019, 03:00 AM
If I walked into a room full of dream ukes I would love to try a Moore Bettah , Hive and Beau Hannam

Dave, if you’re ever in Atlanta, I make that happen. :)

DownUpDave
09-24-2019, 03:03 AM
Dave, if you’re ever in Atlanta, I make that happen. :)

Thanks Hodge, I would love to visit you.

If you are ever in the Toronto area I can make your dream of playing a LfdM super tenor happen.

merlin666
09-24-2019, 06:44 AM
Kiwaya Taropatch

keenonuke
09-25-2019, 12:02 AM
Reading about the possible trips in the thread has me thinking on my own travel plans. I'm considering a trip in the spring to Nashville to try different high quality mandolins. Maybe a trip to Honolulu to Ukulele Friend? :-) Those would be bucket list trips. I feel part of the fuel to my UAS had been the inability to try out an instrument. And unless one lives near say Elderly, Gryphon Strings, Uke Republic, HMS, etc it can be a quite a challenge?

Croaky Keith
09-25-2019, 02:38 AM
Not being able to try out ukes locally lead to my UAS, buying online was the only way to find out what really suited me, luckily I found mine without spending too much money.

I'm happy with my last two purchases, they were what I had been after all along, but without holding/playing them, I just couldn't tell what I needed. :)

My perfect uke is a long neck concert, having got a couple, my UAS stopped.

plunker
09-25-2019, 05:14 AM
I would like to try one with a radius neck. Don't care which one, preferably a tenor.

Kamanaaloha
09-25-2019, 11:12 AM
Unicorn ukulele

Koolau Arch Top
Koolau Premium...and other models
DeVine Kasha
DeVine Muse
Collings ukulele
Miya Moe
Hive
MooreBettah

bacchettadavid
09-25-2019, 11:41 AM
My list (in no particular order):

Lymana
Toda
Glyph
Pegasus
Kawika
Pu’uwai
Koa Works

I’d drive a few hours each way to try out any one of these.

luv2uke
09-28-2019, 10:08 PM
Kamanaaloha,
The Ukulele Store on Lewers St. in Honolulu had a couple of Devine tenors when I visited last year. They currently have a Devine long neck concert on their website. Also check out the Lymanas if you haven't already.

Red Rooster
10-03-2019, 01:32 PM
I would love to try a Koaloha, but I would basically have to buy to try as no dealers are near me.

glennerd
10-07-2019, 06:41 AM
A Ken Timms soprano.

I second that!

Dohle
10-07-2019, 11:10 AM
I second that!

Me too but I would put the emphasis on try. I've seen several Timms ukes which have had the polish worn off where you'd normally just scratch the uke with your finger. The polish, for some reason, seems to be really soft and come off easily, which is why I could probably never dare play the thing if I owned one.

kerneltime
10-07-2019, 11:26 AM
Me too but I would put the emphasis on try. I've seen several Timms ukes which have had the polish worn off where you'd normally just scratch the uke with your finger. The polish, for some reason, seems to be really soft and come off easily, which is why I could probably never dare play the thing if I owned one.
He uses french polish and it should be easy to fix. I think french polish + high humidity do not go well together.

glennerd
10-07-2019, 12:31 PM

My concern wasn't with the polish, but that I'd be like Jerryc41 and buy it. I've convinced myself not to buy before I try anymore, so no Timms for me.

kerneltime
10-07-2019, 12:43 PM
My concern wasn't with the polish, but that I'd be like Jerryc41 and buy it. I've convinced myself not to buy before I try anymore, so no Timms for me.
If you want, I have one for sale, if you do not like it you can ship it back.

glennerd
10-08-2019, 06:40 AM
If you want, I have one for sale, if you do not like it you can ship it back.

Tempting, but my UAS is currently in remission ... it's been 170 days since my last ukulele purchase. :p

kerneltime
10-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Tempting, but my UAS is currently in remission ... it's been 170 days since my last ukulele purchase. :p
That is a good idea! Right now it has been 2 days since I got a new uke!!!

Maiden Uke
10-08-2019, 07:22 AM
Would like to try a LoPrinzi Spruce top Nova Tenor, Pono MGTP Pineapple....

ztukuleles
10-08-2019, 01:05 PM
A concert uke that is made of walnut.

Interesting - we have just added Walnut as an wood option for back and sides on all our ukes. Take a look at BazMaz's (gotaukulele) reviews to get an idea about what we do.

ztukuleles
10-08-2019, 01:13 PM
I want to try a good quality baritone (kanile'a, kamaka, lfdm or equivalent).
Slightly off topic (sorry) but I wasn't sure if KoAloha do baritone? I don't think I've ever seen any for sale.

There are very view makers of baritones, and even fewer of good quality baritones.

Have you checked out BazMaz's reviews of the ZT Baritone? We're very proud to have scored 9.4 out of 10 on Baz's scale and he loves it. You can see his post on it here:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?140087-ZT-Ukuleles-Baritone-Review

If you have any questions, drop me a line.

keenonuke
10-09-2019, 03:03 PM
I'm adding to my list a spruce top & rosewood kinnard soprano. And both Martin Style 2 Concert and Martin Style 2 Tenor.

Davoravo
10-09-2019, 10:09 PM
The big pono steel string baritone (UL4) ... sigh... Failing that any pono baritone as my longterm goal is to buy one.

To try without any intention of buying i would love to try a Moonbird tenor or a Koaloha tenor (or even an opio).

prb035
10-09-2019, 10:30 PM
Del Rey's R.E. Phillips Concert Resonator :D

http://youtu.be/Wxk3N7GOgX4

keenonuke
10-20-2019, 07:15 AM
I'm adding to my list a few sopranos
The Romero Creations Mahogany Soprano - it’s 3” deep so may be uncomfortable for me to play. I found a Cali Pineapple uncomfortable with a bigger body to neck length. I tend to impinge my right forearm on the side of the ukulele but this could be technique?

The Kinnard Spruce Soprano and long neck soprano

And the latest Beau Hannam soprano.

These are all deeper sounding sopranos.