I lost my Kamaka Gold Label Pineapple on Southwest Airlines!

Gmontema

Reaction score
Stuff Happens! My abused (by someone else but repaired/improved by me) Kamaka is out in the wind! She’s an amazing looking and sounding instrument and now has gotoh UPTs. It even had the cool deluxe and distinctive white binding.

Wherever she ends up, I hope she is well played and well loved. Tears were shed by my 7 year old daughter. That said, if anyone here ends up with it, I’d love to buy it back!

(I did file a lost and found with Southwest on 9-21-2019... the day it was lost).

51AA9D46-8511-4393-A807-B2BAB695C6E4.jpgF9900E72-833E-41F3-B470-0CD673FD5B17.jpg36771291-609C-4C74-9C71-F3D0A0F4C889.jpg

Last edited:
Stuff Happens! My abused (by someone else but repaired/improved by me) Kamaka is out in the wind! She’s an amazing looking and sounding instrument and now has gotoh UPTs. It even had the cool deluxe and distinctive white binding.

Wherever she ends up, I hope she is well played and well loved. Tears were shed by my 7 year old daughter. That said, if anyone here ends up with it, I’d love to buy it back!

(I did file a lost and found with Southwest on 9-21-2019... the day it was lost).

View attachment 121486View attachment 121487View attachment 121488

Sorry about your 7 year old. How exactly did it get lost? Was it in checked luggage? Was it in a case? I hope it gets back to you safely.

What a shame. I once left a Kamaka in a library after a jam, but I turned around and went back for it. I hadn't even gotten to my car. I can understand how a uke could be left behind on a plane. Your Kamaka doesn't have a serial number?

What a shame. I hope they reimburse you the "replacement value" for it. (Don't settle for their first offer.)

Condolences to your 7-year old. It's tough to lose a friend...

Sorry about your 7 year old. How exactly did it get lost? Was it in checked luggage? Was it in a case? I hope it gets back to you safely.

We were traveling heavy with carry on gear for 2 kids for the first time. There was heavy turbulence which shifted the uke from in front of one of our bags to probably the side of the overhead compartment. Yup it was in a case. Thanks for the hope!

Oh no, what happened? You're right, you can't stop stuff happening, but it still sucks when it does!
Sorry to hear it's gone :(

Thanks. Normally I’m all over things like this. Travel with two young ones for the first time proved to be quite distracting as was the severe turbulence!

What a shame. I once left a Kamaka in a library after a jam, but I turned around and went back for it. I hadn't even gotten to my car. I can understand how a uke could be left behind on a plane. Your Kamaka doesn't have a serial number?

If it did have a serial number I didn’t see it. I wish I put my name on a tag on the case! It was a last minute case change for the flight.

What a shame. I hope they reimburse you the "replacement value" for it. (Don't settle for their first offer.)

Condolences to your 7-year old. It's tough to lose a friend...

Unfortunately, this a carry on and 100% my mistake...a costly mistake in that it was 50+ year old uke that made an amazing sound.

So did someone take it, or is it still somewhere in the airplane? I understand that turbulence shifted things around, but it couldn't have gone too far. So where did it go?

...it couldn't have gone too far. So where did it go?

Strange things can happen on planes. Remember that episode of "The Twilight Zone" with William Shatner?

Twilight Zone.jpg

If that uke isn't in the home of the person who took it off the plane, it's in a pawnshop or music store, waiting for someone to buy it.

Strange things can happen on planes. Remember that episode of "The Twilight Zone" with William Shatner?

View attachment 121547

If that uke isn't in the home of the person who took it off the plane, it's in a pawnshop or music store, waiting for someone to buy it.

If it were left on the plane, you cant get back on, so they say to remember to take all your belongings. If it isn't noticed during the short cleanup period before the next flight's passengers embark, then it would get mixed in with those until someone actually takes it.

*Update* Southwest Airlines recovered my uke! There are still good / honest humans out there. Thanks to all in the uke community for the kind words and support! In the meantime I was lucky enough to acquire a mint (even the the wood smells new) gold label. Here are are together. I probably won’t keep the mint one as I know of two people who love the gold label pineapple sound as much as I do. What a crazy but wonderful past 3 weeks it has been. This stuff adds to the color of life.E2CF53AB-984A-44EB-9D2A-0DA4AC54A022.jpg662C6A59-F45C-4672-BCE8-A75B434D8DA7.jpg662C6A59-F45C-4672-BCE8-A75B434D8DA7.jpg6AC2563F-CFDE-4494-9C12-6CCB0CFCDF37.jpg

Congrats! Love to hear a happy ending!

The two siblings look pretty good together too!

Thank you for sharing the wonderful happy ending

Yay! I love happy endings!!!
You’re sure to enjoy your Kamaka more than ever after this near miss!

Top Bottom