8 string uke with all octaves

Tukanu

Handmade 2B Hand Played
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am working on an 8-string uke. Is it possible to have an octave on all four strings?
Gg Cc Ee Aa ??
A standard set for an 8 string has the G and C with octaves.
I see from a string calculator that an octave on the A string isn't available.
How would you set this up?? Any suggestions?
8-string.JPG

Hmm, tricky. Of course, G and C are no real difficulty though the high c needs to be very thin.

For the A, I think you'd have to go down octave - I don't see how you could get high-high A as it would have to be incredibly thin. Like horse hair kind of thin.

For the E, again, you could go down octave, but then that's your lowest note on the uke, and it's on the 2nd string which seems pretty odd. A high E might be possible but again would be really, really thin.

I am working on an 8-string uke. Is it possible to have an octave on all four strings?
Gg Cc Ee Aa ??
A standard set for an 8 string has the G and C with octaves.
How would you set this up?? Any suggestions?
View attachment 121510

Sorry that I don't have a suggestion to answer the question, but can you please share the link to web page for the string tension calculator in your screen shot here? I've not seen that one before and it looks neat :)

Thank you Merlin

Here's a thought. Instead of GCEA, how about DGBE? As mentioned in the other thread, the middle 4 of guitalele tuning is DGCE so the low octave is trivial. The high octave is d4 g4 b4 e5. Again the difficulty is the high e5.
I'd say get this string:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/savarez-alliance-kf30-30-mm-0-0118-inches-single-string-3341.html

I have no idea how high that would get but it's half the gauge of the normal e4 guitar gauge, so that with the shorter scale gives it a chance of making it up there.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. How about this:
middle C.JPG

What kind of string would work for the low E and C?

An octave A-string is common on 6-string ukuleles, where it is the lowest string. For the E there are tiple tunings that have e4-e3-e4, including the Ohana tiple (with steel strings) that ads a low e.

So for an 8-string essentially you could think of it as a linear tuning that adds high octave strings to the G and C, and low Octave to the E and A if you ad the tiple and lili'u elements.

The low E will probably push the tenor size and scale in terms of low tension playing comfort and sound, so you should also consider a deeper body than usual. A longer scale to accommodate the low E may cause trouble with the high C though.

Last edited:
I'd probably look to wound classical strings. With normal sets giving ADGCEA, I think you'd have to experiment with variants of the 5th string. Hmm, this is the normal 'D' that might can wind up to E
https://www.stringsbymail.com/dadda...-polished-j4505lp-normal-tension-034-154.html

This is a step higher tension that might can go down to the C:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/daddario-composite-lightly-polished-j4605lp-hard-tension-035-3245.html

Thanks to all...It looks like this will work. The body of this uke is wider than a typical tenor (10") and a full 3" deep, so these suggestions should work.

I don't understand why you would want to add a lower C that would just be too deep. The appeal of the 6 string uke is the high C which gives it the extra lush tone. All you need to do is get a Lili'u set and an extra low G string and one for the low E.

For a Tenor Ukulele,
To lower the ‘C’ string an octave, try the ‘E’ string from a Classic Guitar
To lower the ‘E’ string and octave, try the ‘A’ string from a Classic Guitar

I’ve done that on one of my Tenor Ukuleles.

Last edited:
For a Tenor Ukulele,
To lower the ‘C’ string an octave, try the ‘E’ string from a Classic Guitar
To lower the ‘E’ string and octave, try the ‘A’ string from a Classic Guitar

I’ve done that on one of my Tenor Ukuleles.
Maybe. Those would typically be A2 and D3 with standard guilele tuning so your practice would yield higher than normal tension. I'm not sayin that won't work - just sayin

Top Bottom