Average Life Expectancy of a String, and other questions...

ukulelebadass

Reaction score
In perusing the forums here I have noted that there are a large number of strings devoted to strings. Questions such as what are the best kind of strings, what strings should I use on my (insert brand or size of ukulele here), what type of strings should I use if I am a beginner, et al, seem to abound in many of the forums here. This got me to wondering about what criteria all of you ukers are using to make such decisions.

I tend to base my preferences on a combination of three criteria:

1. Playability- This has mostly to do with tension and gauge, how the strings feel under my fingers when I am playing, how hard I have to push to get clear notes. I tend to prefer lighter tension strings with a smaller gauge.

2. Sound- Clearly, what the instrument sounds like with the strings, but also how quickly they keep in tune. More specifically do they sound good when lightly finger picked and also when plugged in and hammering away with a pick.

3. Longevity- How long will these strings last being played daily under my admittedly heavy handed strumming, and will they break? I prefer my strings to last between three weeks and a month.

In a recent conversation with another uker they were taken aback to learn that I should change my strings that frequently. I said that I sometimes feel guilty waiting that long as I frequently continue playing after I have worn through the outside of my wound strings at the frets.

My interest in this topic is further peaked today as I notice that the set of Aquila Nylgut's which I installed about a week ago on my baritone, Mr. Tanner, have already worn through the outside wrapping on the wound strings at most of the top frets and are actually beginning to un-ravel in places. I am totally blown away by this because Aquila claims to manufacturer a "premium" string.

What does UU think about all this? What do you consider when picking your strings? Do you use them until they are worn out or do you change them frequently, and how long does a set of strings usually last? Anything else you care to share about strings?

Inquisitive Regards,

UB

I hear about 2 months and then it starts to sound "dead". I had my lanikai with the same strings on for almost 6 months. I put some new ones on, and it sounded like a new instrument. so 2 months is the limit i go for.

you should record a sound clip of your uke today. When that sound... changes or becomes weak to what you've recorded, you should change the strings. My KoAloha has had the same strings... for about 2 months now. I need to probably change it next week or so. I play toooooooooo much. But alas, it isn't eough.

you should record a sound clip of your uke today. When that sound... changes or becomes weak to what you've recorded, you should change the strings.

To clarify, I'm not asking for advice, I am asking what other people do when it comes to their strings, like how you choose strings, how often you change them, how long your strings last based on your playing habits things like that... for curiosity's sake, I find it interesting.

I choose strings mainly based on sound and playability. And when I'm lazy, sometimes just on avaliability. I used to love Aquilas, since they were loud and sounded pretty good to me. But then, I found Worths, which sound almost as good -even better in certain aspects- and were much more playable. The only problem I have with worths is that I think they're a bit difficult to find. One of my favorite stores stopped carrying them because their supplier stopped listing them, and another of my favorite stores only has GHS and Aquilas, and doesn't intend to change that. So I usually just wait around for MGM to list them.

As for how often I change them, I usually only do it when they break. Then I'll usually change out the whole set. I've had the same set of strings on my first uke that I bought in 1997 up until last year. I thought it still sounded fine. Of course, it spent most of that time in a closet. But even after several months of straight play, it sounded about the same to me. Eventually, I slapped on a new set of Aquilas, and I really didn't think it sounded much better for it.

IDK, strings are sort of expensive IMO, and they're something that I feel like I can go without changing for extended periods of time. Plus, they take time to change, and you have to deal with stretching after you change them, and thats sort of annoying too. So basically, I'm cheap and lazy, so I don't change my strings often. I have been wanting to change the strings on my Kanilea from Aquilas (which were on it at time of purchase about a year ago, and still sound great) to Worths so I can do bends without breaking my fingers. But I've just been too lazy to find a set, and mess with the pin bridge. I mean it still sounds okay to my ears, so why mess with it?

Same reason I avoid restringing my guitars until I absolutly have to. I'm too lazy to do four strings...guitars have six! (Thank god for ballends.)

I've had the same stringz on my KoAloha since I got it last October. They still sound ok to me.

I've always been kind of confused about the string question. There are some really good players on this forum who swear by changing them often. They swear that strings lose something over time. My teacher swears by running fingers underneath the strings to feel for nicks caused by repeated contact with the frets.

My baby is a K1 tenor Kanile'a that I bought in December 2008. I play it every day, and I love the sound. I have yet to change the strings. I had the chance to compare it to some other Kanile'a ukes at MGM's table at NYukefest. He had nothing but concerts with tenor necks when I did so. I liked the sound of mine way better then the new uke's he had. I have yet to change the strings.

Bottom line is the same as it always seems to be when it comes to what is right and wrong when dealing with Ukes. Do what's right for you.

I look at strings more as having a life than starting perfect and deteriorating past a point of tolerance until we change them like a baby's diaper. For instance I noticed that Hilo Blacks that come on Fleas start bright and mellow to a very nice sound at about 2 months. Also in this time they get worn smooth and lose some of their satin finish. I really don't like the satin finish since it can sound scratchy when plucking. So there's a window in the life of this string where it sounds it's best for me. Like a wine, there's a point when it's young and green, then matures to perfection and then eventually becomes corked or turns to vinegar. In some makes of strings this seems more pronounced than others. In the Worth Browns and Aquila Nylguts this aging is there, but not really noticeable unless you record them when they're young for reference as pointed out before.

I think what's interesting is that I see a lot of posts from people who use vastly different strings on their different ukes. People may use Aquila Nylguts on one and Worth Browns on another. So I guess the ukes kind of have a string preference just like us.

At the risk of pirating this thread...

Are strings like tires, should they be replaced as a set?

i've had the same strings (ko'olau golds) on my fluke since december 2007 and i play it almost daily. they still sound fine to me.

My Kala (which was bought in '07) had GHS and a wound C. I changed them in early '08 and still have the same Aquillas on them since then.
I play that thing all the time...and I am not always easy on it.
The strings sound fine to me.

I have had the same Worth's on my Pineapple since April and that thing gets alot of play time...strings sound fine.

From my experience, wound strings (guitar, bass, etc) are ones that need changing every XXX miles. I don't hear any reason to change out uke strings (nylon, nylgut, fluorocarbons, etc) after XXX miles. I haven't arrived at a point where my uke strings sound degradated yet. So...I use 'em until they tell me it's time to change.

The original GHS strings on my Lanikai tenor lasted a long time, over a year, but I did not play ukulele then as much as I do now. I replaced those strings with Aquilas, and the wound C string wore out in a couple of months, but admittedly I was staring to play much more. After replacing those a few times whenever the C string windings wore through at the 2nd fret (I blame the F and D chords) I finally got a set of Aquila Nylguts that were all plain. These have not worn at all and still sound great, after probably 4 months or so. Oh wait, I also bought a Pono tenor in February, and I mostly play that now. The original Ko'olau Golds wore through the windings in about 6 weeks. I now have Aquilas on that one with a wound Low G, so far, so good after about a month, but I do see the 2nd Fret wear spot and I will need to change it very soon. I do not want to go all-plain on the Pono because the nut grooves are cut for wound strings and I do not want to enlarge them. In fact, I will probably go back to a set with two wound strings G and C and just replace them once a month. Sounds reasonable to me. I started a thread asking about this earlier and Deach said that his D'Addarios never got flat spots or unraveled, so I might try those next.

With my guitars, I would only change the strings when I could not stand to touch them anymore because they were rough with oxidation or the wound strings were wearing - I fit into the lazy category above, and every time I put new strings on I would say, "Oh yeah, they sound SO much better when they are new!"

I replaced those strings with Aquilas, and the wound C string wore out in a couple of months, but admittedly I was staring to play much more. After replacing those a few times whenever the C string windings wore through at the 2nd fret (I blame the F and D chords)

I thought my barry sounded abosolutely awesome with those nylgut strings on it, I was thinking of putting them on my tenor, I can't believe how quickly those wound strings wore through- it was less then a week of play. I am thoroughly disappointed. If I hadn't bought them on-line I would be trying to get my money back. Like I said, I play pretty hard, still it seems a bit ridiculous to me....

and I do believe it is folly to re-string without doing all of them, mainly because you end up with all sorts of random strings, different strings need replaced at different times, and you end up with some strings going out of tune faster than others... it's too much to keep track of.

i have aquillas on my kala but i was thinking about changing to d'addarios (hope i spelled that right). anybody have any other suggestions i dont like how my aquillas sound. they are too bright for me

From my experience, wound strings (guitar, bass, etc) are ones that need changing every XXX miles. I don't hear any reason to change out uke strings (nylon, nylgut, fluorocarbons, etc) after XXX miles. I haven't arrived at a point where my uke strings sound degradated yet. So...I use 'em until they tell me it's time to change.

Yup, wound strings rust and come apart. Thank god I play with only non-wound strings on my ukes...lets me delay the string restringing process for even longer. I never understood wound strings on ukes. They always sounded a bit out of place with a metallic, deeper sound...sort of off...like when you replace only one string in an old set with a fresh string of a different brand. IDK, but that's just me.

i have aquillas on my kala but i was thinking about changing to d'addarios (hope i spelled that right). anybody have any other suggestions i dont like how my aquillas sound. they are too bright for me

I know many people on here are fond of the d'addario and pro arte strings, I really don't like them. I have tried them on my KALA tenor a couple of times because that is what my local guitar shop sells, and I am always sorry I didn't wait for mail order. They kill my fingers, and I am not crazy about the sound. My favorites for the KALA are either the KALA reds, or the GHS black.

I'm with Nikolo at a couple of months at the most and even that's mostly out of laziness and economic concerns.
I've had some Worth Clears on the first Koaloha Concert that I just changed out today after putting it off for close to a month. It's been sounding kind of dead for a while and I could see the cracks in the strings and feel the fret wear underneath them.

Mostly I know it's time to think about changing them when the sparkle at the high end starts to roll off and things slowly descend into a dull plunk. (Which I think is one of those subtleties that you notice over time as your ear develops like it does for tuning and intonation.) I'm also pretty hard on strings.

Top Bottom