Buffing-out Koaloha?

Paul December

Reaction score
My Koaloha has a bit of over-spray that has always bothered me and since it's due for a string change, I figured it would be a good time to finally address it. This model is the gloss version and I've read it is "nitro" finish, that appears to be a bit softer than my other factory uke finishes with gloss. Would someone please confirm that it would be ok to use rubbing compound, and if possible suggest which one?

I wouldn’t use rubbing compound on a nitrocellulose finish. In another thread, Meguiars Polish was suggested to polish a satin finish to a hand rubbed gloss. For overspray, it is tough process because removing some finish (overspray) “might” be desirable. You may want to use a 0000 steel wool or 2500/3000 wet and dry. Then maybe a 3M product called Finesse It. I have used Finesse It on a classic car paint decades ago. For polishing out poly, or my carbon fiber KLOS top, I have used a product called Brilliant Metal Polish, but for your finish I’m not sure I would recommend it.

Hopefully someone else can chime it. Personally, I search the internet for polishing nitro guitars. You’ll probably get some good info as no one wants to ruin a nice older Les Paul or Strat using too harsh a compound.

And you could always call KoAloha and ask them.

John

The first thing I would do is call KoAloha and ask them what polishing products they use. There is a wide variety of solvents and types of cellulose used to create the lacquer.

For old finishes when I can’t find out what was used I’ve had great success with 2000/2500/3000 wet sand paper and a good wax. The idea is to get the scratches small enough where the wax can cover them without building it up to much. You could use a polishing compound but for me personally, I prefer a hand finish and never had the patience to hand buff using progressively finer compounds.

Go slow, keep the work area very clean. The last thing you want to do is put a deep scratch into the finish. Some of the finishes will build up under the sand paper and gouge the finish. I add a little dish soap to the water and it keeps the sand paper nice and clean. Be careful not to get the water on unfinished wood. It can raise the grain of the wood and create water spots.

My last bit of advice is to practice on something you don’t care about. Put some wipe on poly on a piece of scrap wood and use the same technique to get a mirror finish. It takes practice to get a glass like finish, it’s an art as much as a science.

Good luck
-Chris

Top Bottom