Medieval Gittern Guiterna

Tukanu

Handmade 2B Hand Played
UU VIP
Reaction score
Medieval Gittern Guiterna SOLD

Hello all you renaissance fair musicians. This is a must have addition to your medieval and renaissance instrument collection. This gittern is in the style of the 13th century Cantigas of Spain. It is also called a guiterna in Spain.

The neck and body are hand carved and are a single piece of old growth Aspen from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. The soundboard is Englemann Spruce, also from the Rockies.

The peg box features a hand carved bulldog. Animal figures are standard on medieval gitterns.
The frets are hand tied nylon.

The scale is 415mm which is about 16”. Tuning is ADGC (low to high) which is the most common tuning for a gittern. It is strung with New Nygut from Aquila for a traditional old world sound. You can hear a soundclip on my website: Cripple Creek Mandolins dot com.
DSCF0291.jpgDSCF0292.jpg
Price is $695 plus shipping.
It comes with a soft case. Shipping will be actual cost to your location.

Last edited:
Wow, now there's something you don't see every day. :eek:

I can't say it's 'my thing' but I can appreciate a unique instrument. Kudos sir! :cheers:

The "original" ukulele

worked for me on iPad Safari and Windows Firefox. You can also right-click and "Save Link As" to download locally and play that way

Thanks Jim it worked on the PC with a download. David it sounds great.

I love the figurehead on the peg box. I have a couple of old Stainer fiddles with lion heads.

Thanks for the compliments. It was one of those projects I had to try. It is made of one piece neck and body and hollowed out. Extremely labor intensive. It is played with a "risha" which is a long thin pick. It has a lot more volume than you would expect.

Top Bottom