Mandobird as Uke

I'd love to see a video of you playing around with it in uke tuning, it looks really cool man :shaka:

Apparently the neck on the mandobird is a bit thinner than a traditional ukulele neck...

I keep getting closer to the decision to try and build my own electric uke.

Apparently the neck on the mandobird is a bit thinner than a traditional ukulele neck...

A bit? Mandolin necks are way thinner...

I don't have the 2 Ovation ukuleles anymore to measure the difference, but compare the size to the mandolin:
ovations3.jpg

Last edited:
A bit? Mandolin necks are way thinner...

I don't have the 2 Ovation ukuleles anymore to measure the difference, but compare the size to the mandolin:

The mando does look like it has a slimmer nut... That's a big deal for me, so now I feel compelled to steer clear.

I'll redirect my interest to the more expensive but arguably cooler Jupiter Creek electric ukuleles.

I like the idea of having a steel string uke, so I don't feel compelled to do the whole RISA uke-stick eleuke thing, and I've heard less than wonderful things about these.

Tried the epiphone link from the original post several times.....no go.

What do these Mandobirds look like?

They look just like an electric guitar that has shrunk.

It is SO much fun to play (especially as you can put it through effects pedals, etc). A whole new universe.

There are a couple of guys demonstrating them on youtube.

Its looks really cool if i had some extra cash lying around i'd get one. Can you tune all mandolins to uke tuning or is this a special case kind of instrument?

This is the first 4 string mandolin I've seen, so I guess the answer is no, you couldn't turn all mandolins to ukes.

Here's a demo of a mandobird with uke tuning on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EFGffRnzAw

If you just type mandobird into search in youtube, there are several other examples, including some really cool bluegrass tunes.

Is the nut width any thinner than the Kala nut? I play Kalas with no problem. This looks like a nice addition to the collection - although the scale length isn't the tenor I prefer.

Maybe I do want an eleuke... I could play without bothering my wife, and we do have the baby on the way... I won't have to hear "Don't wake the baby!" so often.

This is the first 4 string mandolin I've seen, so I guess the answer is no, you couldn't turn all mandolins to ukes.

Here's a demo of a mandobird with uke tuning on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EFGffRnzAw

If you just type mandobird into search in youtube, there are several other examples, including some really cool bluegrass tunes.

That was fun. Jim Henson would be proud. ;)

Agh. I tried to buy one today from GAK

I got an email back;

'Estimate despatch date Thu 03-Sep-2009' :(

They seem to be hard to come by in the UK and too expensive to import from the US. I guess I'll have to wait...

My advice would be shop around a bit longer - I found a variance in price of over $100, as well as large differences in delivery times.

Top Bottom