Martin Factory Tour

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Martin gives a very nice tour of their factory - free of charge. As the dozen people lined up for the tour, the guide asked what we had. He started with me, and I said "Ukulele." He hesitated a bit and said, "Tiptoe through the Tulips, huh?" That was disappointing. It was the production of ukuleles that kept Martin going through the lean years. They shouldn't be mocking products they sell.

You'll see pictures of a silver trike in the lobby. You might remember "American Chopper," the TV series about the father and son motorcycle-building team in Montgomery, NY. Paul Jr went on his own with "Paul Jr Designs." It was he who designed the trike for Martin.

The bulk of the rough work at Martin is done by machine. As the guide said, the machines never make a mistake, and they are very precise - every time. The assembly and detail work is done by people.

I was surprised that the factory is located in a nice residential area. It's clean, bright, and quiet inside. They make over two hundred guitars every day, priced $3,600 and up. If you want one made out of Brazilian rosewood, you can add $30,000 to that price. Yes, that's an extra $30,000 (or more) for rosewood. My spruce/rosewood Vita Uke cost $200, but that rosewood is not from Brazil.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bR4iKmYpx7MHnKEMA

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the share and photos. Seeing the last photo reminds me, I wish Martin still made mandolins :-(

Martin gives a very nice tour of their factory - free of charge. As the dozen people lined up for the tour, the guide asked what we had. He started with me, and I said "Ukulele." He hesitated a bit and said, "Tiptoe through the Tulips, huh?" That was disappointing. It was the production of ukuleles that kept Martin going through the lean years. They shouldn't be mocking products they sell.

You'll see pictures of a silver trike in the lobby. You might remember "American Chopper," the TV series about the father and son motorcycle-building team in Montgomery, NY. Paul Jr went on his own with "Paul Jr Designs." It was he who designed the trike for Martin.

The bulk of the rough work at Martin is done by machine. As the guide said, the machines never make a mistake, and they are very precise - every time. The assembly and detail work is done by people.

I was surprised that the factory is located in a nice residential area. It's clean, bright, and quiet inside. They make over two hundred guitars every day, priced $3,600 and up. If you want one made out of rosewood, you can add $30,000 to that price. Yes, that's an extra $30,000 (or more) for rosewood. My spruce/rosewood Vita Uke cost $200.

Thanks for the pics! Did you get to see the original Konter?

They make over two hundred guitars every day, priced $3,600 and up. If you want one made out of rosewood, you can add $30,000 to that price. Yes, that's an extra $30,000 (or more) for rosewood. My spruce/rosewood Vita Uke cost $200.

Nice photos, Jerry! I toured the factory quite a few years ago when almost all the work was done by hand, but overall, it looks like things haven't changed that much.

BTW, most Martin guitars are built with spruce tops and rosewood back and sides. I suspect your $30,000 guitar is made from Brazilian Rosewood, not the more common (and much cheaper) East Indian Rosewood.

Looks like a fine tour. I suspect the original part of the factory was built in a rural area.

Feeling envious. I knew I should have stopped in Nazareth to see the race track and Martin factory when I passed by when moving to AZ via Ohio.

I saw the Konter. They have it next to the replica. The museum in the Martin Guitar Factory is pretty awe inspiring. There is a “touch me” room where you can handle and play about 6-8 guitars.

Last edited:
And don’t forget just because you have the moola to pay for Brazilian rosewood form Martin’s vault doesn’t mean you get one. One of the Martin’s has to actually sign off on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom