Recent UAS Fix

haolejohn

Reaction score
Alright I got my newest aquisition in on Friday May, 29 just before I left the house to catch Jake in Atlanta (more on the show later). I myust confess I was upset at FedEx for leaving the uke on my doorstep when I specfically asked for signature required (smart move if you live in Ghetto) anyways after I realized no one stole my new uke and it did not get rained on I was happy that FedEx made a boneheaded mistake. Here is the video I shot of the opening. It is kinda long so you can fast forward if you like. Also never mind my house, we are in the middle of remodeling so there is alot that still has to be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA5r5JpyWZc

IF you are not interested in the unpacking and just want to see the goods FF to 3:28ish

Last edited:
Happiness is a UAS fix. Thats a beautiful new uke, sounds great to. Uke on! :music:

Congratulations! Here's to many happy hours of plunking.

She looks and sounds great. I like the double sound holes. Thanks for sharing!:shaka:

Haolejohn let me try out his new aquisition while we were standing in line to see Jake...it is one nice playing uke!! Congrats HJ!!:shaka:

I'm going to brag on DeG. jake was signing autographs and talking story with his fans from the first show while we were waiting to get in the second show and he (Jake) paused and looked ovre and complimented DeG. jake said "that sounds awesome, keep playing." Great guy that Jake. Wished there were more musicians like him.

Last edited:
Hey HJ,
Just watched your 2 videos. Good stuff. Well, obviously, your 2-puka uke has much bigger sound (which it technically supposed to. you can compare it to a ported speaker box. It supposed to give off bigger sound). But your single hole uke has a nice brighter sound, hence the strings. i would change out your Hilo strings asap. There are so many likes and dislikes, but I would recommend you try some Worths on your 2-puka uke.

So what are your plans when you fly out to Hawaii? Give me a buzz or send me a PM of your schedule and maybe we can get together and hang out and Jam while you are here. Family coming too? Hopefully AG will be in town (waiting for his custom Kanilea to be finished).

Hey HJ,
Just watched your 2 videos. Good stuff. Well, obviously, your 2-puka uke has much bigger sound (which it technically supposed to. you can compare it to a ported speaker box. It supposed to give off bigger sound). But your single hole uke has a nice brighter sound, hence the strings. i would change out your Hilo strings asap. There are so many likes and dislikes, but I would recommend you try some Worths on your 2-puka uke.

So what are your plans when you fly out to Hawaii? Give me a buzz or send me a PM of your schedule and maybe we can get together and hang out and Jam while you are here. Family coming too? Hopefully AG will be in town (waiting for his custom Kanilea to be finished).

I've been thinking about getting some worths. Are they that good? The aquillas have grown on me and I prefer the low g sound but I like that brighter sound as well.

My only plans are to surf, play the uke, lose some weight (hopefully being on the Marine base will motivate me to lose this gut), and get scuba certified finally. I want to go uke shopping but funds might be limited. I am down with jamming but i don't know many songs but i do eat well:) and I can follow someones lead. I'll send you a PM before I leave. Just me and the wife. No kids yet but her cousins kids might be with us since they live there.

Ho'omaika'i John on new addition to your 'ukulele family, she's a beauty. I second 1014's comment, no can lose weight on vacation especially a vacation in Hawai'i. How come you staying on Base, you get family there? Maybe you can pick up afactory second from KoAloha for a song. Check out Aaron's Dive Shop in Kailua, I got certified by them back in '85. He (Jack Aaron) hires allot of Marines from the base part time. If your coming in summer it'll be all south swell so longboarding at Waikiki would be fun. :shaka:

lose weight in hawai`i? you kidding, no? after visiting all my `ohana i usually gain weight no matter how much i surf.

I figure all da sashimi and poke can be good. I'll stay away from da poi and kalua pig and chicken katsu. Actually I'm worried about eating all da spam musabi and manapua. But I figure since I'll be at K-Bay I'll be motivated by the Marines running and I'll think I am a Marine once more.

My wife's cousin's husband is a Marine. I plan on hitting the beach every morning for a 1 hour swim/running workout followed with prayer, bible reading, and ukulele playing.

I've never surfed Waikiki but I am a long boarder so I'm looking forward to dawn patrol if I can get my hands on a truck.

Who knows you might get a freak north swell and be able to surf North Beach. There's a surf break called "Zombies" just inside the Base boundary fence on Kailua side of Base, used to climb around fence or paddle there from Kailua side to surf there in my younger daze, always have the MPs waiting for us to come ashore but we'd just paddle back to the Kailua side of fence and wave at the nice MPs. :shaka:

Yep...that has a VERY nice sound!

Conga rats!!! :shaka:

I recorded me opening my Sunday and did a similar review as well.
I just have never finished it up since I tweaked the uke a bit.

I suppose I will have to give in and open a YouTube account one of these days since that's how things are done 'round these parts.

Yep...that has a VERY nice sound!

Conga rats!!! :shaka:

I recorded me opening my Sunday and did a similar review as well.
I just have never finished it up since I tweaked the uke a bit.

I suppose I will have to give in and open a YouTube account one of these days since that's how things are done 'round these parts.

You need to. This was my first video and I twanged the strings once. My soprano video I messed up as well but I'm only human and I'm definately not perfect. I figured I was going to see Jake and I had the video camera in hand and the uke was on my doorstep so why not?

Top Bottom