A cool ukulele experience

jnicholes

Reaction score
Hello,

So, a few weeks ago, I went to a WWII air museum near where I live. I was looking in the display cabinet, and I saw an old piece of sheet music from 1941. The song was called "Remember Pearl Harbor." On closer inspection, It had the chords above the music for guitar and ukulele.

I immediately wanted to try to play this piece on my Ukulele, so I took a picture of the music, (Which I believe was allowed.)

After turning the music into a MIDI on my computer, I decided to try to play along with the chords on the sheet music.

Here is the result.

Its an interesting piece with interesting chords. I like it!

It was a cool experience.

Jared

Nicely done. (BTW, I'm the Video Police, rule #1: never ever shoot video with the phone upright, always shoot video with the phone sideways. You will get 3 times the image, many people view these videos on a computer, also anyone viewing on a phone can turn it sideways, so there's never a reason to shoot upright.)

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. Next time I shoot a video, I'll make sure that the phone is sideways and not upright.

Jared

Nice, did the sheet music tell you which beats to strum on? I am interested because you aren't strumming continuously, which is what i would naturally do, but as a duet the way you have played is more artistic.

The sheet music did not specify the beats to strum on.

As for the way I was strumming, from my experience, which is limited, Whenever there is a chord in the piano sheet music, I play the chord on the ukulele. That way, I'm not drowning out the piano, and you can still hear the ukulele.

When I play solo, that's a different story. I do strumming patterns when I play solo.

I guess you're right. It is pretty artistic.

I hope this makes sense.

Jared

Nice job. I liked the up stroke treatment on your uke.

Dang! They must have dashed the song out in a hurry if it was written and published in 1941. Reminds me of a couple of Geo. M Cohan songs.

May I ask which air museum you went to?

As long as you didn't use a flash to photograph the music, it shouldn't have been a problem.

I'm enjoying reading the John Meacham & Tim McGraw book "Songs of America". But disappointed that there are no music sheets. Only lyrics are included for some of the songs. It does have a Bibliography to help you look up the song sources.

Last edited:
@Kenn2018, The Warhawk Air Museum in Nampa, Idaho, USA.

I didnt use flash photography, by the way.

Jared

@Kenn2018, it's an air museum and an airstrip at the same time. Sometimes, you got to see Old World War II Fighters take off. Last Memorial Day, I saw some p51s and p40s take off. It was cool to see. On occasion, a b 17 comes to visit.

Two years ago, I saw a P-47 and a P38 flying. That was awesome.

It's a good Museum.

Jared

Top Bottom