Nuts

gp-ak

Reaction score
Couple of nut questions:
Any purpose for a scalloped nut like this other than decoration?
scalloped_nut.jpg

Also that Martin employee ukulele on antiques roadshow recently had a 3 piece WBW nut, any reason for that except for decoration?

Nope & nope

Looks darn cool!

I've never built one like that, but if I were to guess, the scalloping might add a little bit of articulation to the individual strings. Reducing the mass between the gaps somewhat isolates each string at the nut. I don't think it's something that would make or break an already good/bad uke, but probably something that could be heard, if you listen well. Just an educated guess, though.

L.R. Baggs makes a pickup called the Hex, which has an individual saddle and piezo for each string. I played an ukulele with this system installed and both the acoustic and amplified sound were very clear. I would assume that isolation at the nut would bring out even more individual string articulation.

My only issue with it, which probably doesn't pertain to a uke, is that it would weaken the nut slot. See how the center strings come out of the nut at an angle to go to the tuners. I'd be concerned that they'd break the inside of the scallop.

I would agree with Paul. I have seen bridge saddles on Ramirez and Oribe classical guitars with the same treatment so I am sure that they thought there was some sonic value to it. I have met Mr. Oribe and can tell you he is not one to do things because it is a fad or looks cool. I would suspect that someone was trying to change the way the attack of the note developed.

Top Bottom