NUD X Two

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I got two ukes within a few days of each other, so I'm posting them together.

A friend raves about her Blackbird Clara, and I've seen so many favorable comments online that I was persuaded to order one from the company. They estimated a build time of eight weeks, but it was ready in five. You specify what you want, leave a deposit, and then make sure it's paid off before they ship it. You can pay over a few weeks or all at once, whichever you prefer.

The sound really is amazing. I brought it to my weekly jam yesterday, and I was afraid I was drowning everyone out. (I wasn't). It's very comfortable to hold and to play. I'm glad I ordered it with the low-G. One odd thing is the inability to put a strap button in the heel area. Since the company doesn't want to drill a hole in that hollow area, neither do I.

The other uke is a well-used Fluke, #17880. As you can see, the top shows signs of being played. Shameful! :D I'm going to have something painted on the top, so the marks don't matter, and I'll probably replace the fretboard. This is my second green Fluke concert, but I had the plastic fretboard on the other one replaced with wood, so I won't have trouble telling them apart. Eventually, both will be painted.

The number is interesting, though. It has a fairly early number, indicating that it was made in CT, the label inside is yellow, rather than the orange used in the other CT labels I have seen. So at some point, the CT plant switched from orange to yellow labels, which they have kept to this day. Although it is old and shows some wear, it is without defect, and it sounds beautiful. Dale certainly hit on a perfect design with these Flukes.

Blackbird Clara-2.jpg Green 2.jpg

I purchased my Clara from HMS, and they added a strap button to the neck for me. When I received it, I was kind of puzzled at the location. It's to the side of the neck, but on the side closest to me, instead of the opposite side where most strap buttons would be located. Instead of coming under the neck for support, it comes straight up. I've always wondered why they did it this way. Maybe it has to do with the location of the sound hole for access to the inside??? In any event, it works just fine. I have seen other Claras with strap buttons at the neck, but I can't remember exactly where they were attached. Several people in my uke groups have Claras, so I'll pay more attention to the strap buttons at our next meetings.

I held off on getting a Clara for a long time because of the price. But I'm so glad I finally splurged. It has such a great sound & versatility. Enjoy yours Jerry!

Attachments

• DSCF1863.jpg
    DSCF1863.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I purchased my Clara from HMS, and they added a strap button to the neck for me. When I received it, I was kind of puzzled at the location. It's to the side of the neck, but on the side closest to me, instead of the opposite side where most strap buttons would be located. Instead of coming under the neck for support, it comes straight up. I've always wondered why they did it this way. Maybe it has to do with the location of the sound hole for access to the inside??? In any event, it works just fine. I have seen other Claras with strap buttons at the neck, but I can't remember exactly where they were attached. Several people in my uke groups have Claras, so I'll pay more attention to the strap buttons at our next meetings.

I held off on getting a Clara for a long time because of the price. But I'm so glad I finally splurged. It has such a great sound & versatility. Enjoy yours Jerry!

That's interesting. I've seen a couple of ukes with the strap button on top of the neck, and not for left-handed players. Can you see inside where it goes through? Maybe they wanted access to the inside to put some kind of support in there. I don't like the balance with the strap attached to the headstock.

That's interesting. I've seen a couple of ukes with the strap button on top of the neck, and not for left-handed players. Can you see inside where it goes through? Maybe they wanted access to the inside to put some kind of support in there. I don't like the balance with the strap attached to the headstock.

Did you ask them why they won't put a strap button there? As the manufacturer, their opinion should carry the most weight.

On my Clara, the strap button is in the same place as raftergirl’s, though it also came from HMS. On my Farallon, the strap button is also located in the same spot and I think that came from Blackbird directly. There is no heel on the neck as it is a single piece construction.

Great instrument. It really has a nice sound, is loud and is relatively trouble free which eases my mind. The richlite fingerboard is really comfortable and easy to play and I leave mine out since I don’t have to worry about humidity.

Maybe your UAS will finally be cured! Enjoy and congratulations!

On my Clara, the strap button is in the same place as raftergirl’s, though it also came from HMS. On my Farallon, the strap button is also located in the same spot and I think that came from Blackbird directly. There is no heel on the neck as it is a single piece construction.

Great instrument. It really has a nice sound, is loud and is relatively trouble free which eases my mind. The richlite fingerboard is really comfortable and easy to play and I leave mine out since I don’t have to worry about humidity.

Maybe your UAS will finally be cured! Enjoy and congratulations!

Yes, I like the idea that it isn't delicate. I'll see what Blackbird says about the placement of the button.

If you look at the headstock, you will see a hole below the bottom tuner pegs. There is a hollow "tube" that runs the length of the neck and opens into the body. This contributes to the sound. This should be why drilling into the neck for a strap button is not recommended. It might affect the sound or the structural integrity of the neck.

If you look at the headstock, you will see a hole below the bottom tuner pegs. There is a hollow "tube" that runs the length of the neck and opens into the body. This contributes to the sound. This should be why drilling into the neck for a strap button is not recommended. It might affect the sound or the structural integrity of the neck.

Right. It's one big hollow piece from the body up to the headstock. Still, they put a button in the end of the bout, and HMS put one not far from the sound hole. When I get a reply from Blackbird, I'll let you know what they say.

Do they put a small block behind the attachment point so the screw doesn't pull out of the thin cellulose /resin material? Wouldn't think there is much material for the screw threads to grip and hold.

A really fine pair of new instruments Jerry. Can't wait to see the artwork you decide on for the top of the Fluke.

Enjoy!

I had a look inside my Clara with a flashlight. The strap buttons are just screwed in (neck area & tail area). Ekoa is very strong stuff, so I have no doubt that the screws will hold just fine with normal use. According to the Blackbird website, they reinforce certain areas with carbon fiber, so perhaps that's why HMS puts the strap button in that location?

Last edited:
I had two strap buttons installed by Blackbird. The top button is dead center below where the neck meets the body. No reinforcement inside. Just screwed it.

Blackbird replied that it's no problem installing another strap button, but "don't use a wood screw." A wood screw is what comes with all strap buttons. I emailed back and asked them what I should use.

Hey Jerry how is the fit and finish where the fretboard meets the upper bout? Also around the saddle? Just wondering thx

From Blackbird:

"Wood screws have a history of not always holding when used with Ekoa. We use sheet metal screws. No. 6 size screw, 1/2" long."

Your name isn't "Lefty," is it? :D

Top Bottom