NUD: Kala 8-String Cedar/Acacia Slothead Tenor

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I got a Kala 6-string tenor last week, and then I saw that there was an 8-string, so I thought that would round out my set of 4, 6, and 8 strings. (I don't need the 5-string.)

I think the Kala cedar/acacia slothead tenor is one of the best buys in the ukulele world. This beautiful body with eight strings costs $330. The four-string model is $280. It's beautiful, it's well-made, and it sounds great, regardless of the number of strings. As someone said, it sounds like two ukuleles playing - lots of sound. Tuning isn't as bad as you might think. I use a fingernail to pluck a single string, but it's easy to hit two strings at once. G and C strings are each an octave apart, while the E and A strings are doubled - same octave.

I'll be putting strap buttons on this and bringing it to our weekly session today.

01-2.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

It looks great. Does it have a wound G (the Kala 5 string does)?

Are the lower octave strings above the higher ones? Or is the higher note string the leading string on the downwards strum? I'll need to check my Ohana so we can compare. We have the 5 string for both Kala and Ohana and they're string differently.

Enjoy the newest edition and happy strumming

It looks great. Does it have a wound G (the Kala 5 string does)?

Are the lower octave strings above the higher ones? Or is the higher note string the leading string on the downwards strum? I'll need to check my Ohana so we can compare. We have the 5 string for both Kala and Ohana and they're string differently.

Enjoy the newest edition and happy strumming

The low G string is wound, but it's very thin. All the others are nylon (or whatever). Both low strings are below the high strings.

My first uke!

I had no idea what I was doing when I bought it on the Mandolin Cafe marketplace. I couldn’t handle the stretches and after picking up a couple of more comfortable alternatives, I sold it to a former guitar player who preferred 12-strings but could no longer handle stretches himself. He loves it. You should too, Jerry.

My first uke!

I had no idea what I was doing when I bought it on the Mandolin Cafe marketplace. I couldn’t handle the stretches and after picking up a couple of more comfortable alternatives, I sold it to a former guitar player who preferred 12-strings but could no longer handle stretches himself. He loves it. You should too, Jerry.

That was a brave move for a first uke.

Have you tried other strings on this ukulele? I have just ordered one and was thinking about trying Worths.

How are ya gonna play it, Jerry? I strum my Kala for singing, but I haven’t played it much lately. Nowdays, singing makes me cough (Asthma), if I get carried away with it. I was playing with the idea of tuning it like a mandolin, but I don’t know if that can be done.

Anyhow, have a good time. I hope you enjoy it. :eek:ld:

Replacing and tuning eight new strings is not something I'd be looking forward to. :)

Ha Ha! Good point - especially with tie string ends :rolleyes:

Any tips on playing this or on songs for the eight string? I thought I would work up "Wish You were Here"

How are ya gonna play it, Jerry? I strum my Kala for singing, but I haven’t played it much lately. Nowdays, singing makes me cough (Asthma), if I get carried away with it. I was playing with the idea of tuning it like a mandolin, but I don’t know if that can be done.

I pluck two strings at a time, pick individual strings and strum. It's an enjoyable challenge.

I play it the same as I play any other uke. I'm not much into finger picking, but this sounds beautiful when strummed. If you've never strummed a 6 or 8-string, find one and try it.

Yeah, Jerry, I tried pickin’ mine but didn’t care for it. It really does sound nice strummed though, if I don’t sing anyway. :eek:ld:

Nice. Are the strings doubled up or octaved?

Congrats! They are a lot of fun to strum. I still can't pick it—but then again, I can't pick a four string very well either.

I have a set of Living Waters 8-strings on my MP. They sound lovely and the plain Low G and C stings don't stand out like the wound strings that were on it when I got it.

Top Bottom