whats the best way to mic up an acoustic uke???

geoffsuke

Reaction score
practically says it in the title. i have an ohana tk-300g and i want to mic it up for a performance. it's solid koa acoustic so i don't fancy putting holes in it. i'm open to any suggestions.

cheers
geoff

Hi Geoff,

"Best" depends on a lot of things: environment, other musicians and where they are in relation to you, the sound you're after etc.

You can just mic up and go straight into the PA mixer. Personally I like to have my own dedicated acoustic combo so I have control over my own anti-feedback facilities, tonal colouring and EQ and (to an extent) volume. So, I use an amp that has XLR inputs for mics.

The combo (a Marshall AS50 D) has balanced XLR and line outputs so I can take it through the PA for bigger venues that need more volume.

As for mics. A Shure SM57 or SM57A is a safe pair of hands (IMO the SM57A may be more suitable for a uke, but YMMV), as is the PG81 condenser from Shure's "Performance Gear" range. Actually, the PG81 is currently my preferred stage mic for instruments as I've had better luck controlling feedback with it.

You'll need to experiment with different gain/volume settings to get a balance between the mic picking up your uke loud and clear while still avoiding feedback and rejecting ambient noise.

If you opt to mic up instead of using a pickup then feedback is something you learn to live with and how to tame. It's an occupational hazard for the musician with a mic, but quite possible to overcome with a bit of preparation and care.

Feedback can be reduced or cured by the use of phase and /or notch filters, so look out for amps that offer those. Also, an EQ pedal can help beat feedback as you can cut the frequency range(s) where the problems are occurring. Boss and Behringer both do 7 band EQs.

Lastly, if feedback raises its head and all else fails, try moving yourself and your mic back further behind the PA and/or amp. Also, keep your hand resting across the strings while you're not playing.

practically says it in the title. i have an ohana tk-300g and i want to mic it up for a performance. it's solid koa acoustic so i don't fancy putting holes in it. i'm open to any suggestions.
Don't rule out adding one relatively small hole in the bottom (especially if you have it done professionally)...you can add a soundboard transducer pickup such as this one: http://www.kksound.com/bigshotinternal.html which is a lot more convenient than trying to mic it and lets you move around.

cheers
geoff

Try using a condensor mic for your uke. I was quite amazed how accurately they reproduce the sound. No holes and no cables attached to the uke. Search on condensor mic and see the threads here about it.

Generally with stringed instruments if you're using a single mic, place it at the 12th fret about six inches from the instrument. This applies to ukes as well. Small diaphragm condenser mics work well with ukes.

That said, you'd still get a more consistent sound with a pickup. With mics, even slights movements of the uke can change the sound dramatically.

I am with UkuleleBlues, a good condenser mic is the way to go if you have to use a microphone. Kevin is right, though, a pickup is much better over all and you are not stuck in one position for the night.

That said, LR Baggs are killer pickup systems. In the economy route, the UK-2000 is a good pickup for low price. For mics, I love CAD M-177 mics. They have good performance and reasonable price.

Heh heh... The Shure PG81 I mentioned above is a condenser mic. It works great for ukulele, mandolin, fiddle and guitar.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/WiredMicrophones/us_pro_PG81-XLR_content

What has been said about the benefits of pickups for allowing freedom of movement (and for making it a bit easier to address feedback issues) is true, but I have never heard a piezo equal the quality of the sound you get with a mic.

I have pickups, but I only use them if I have to. If the environment permits, give me my condenser mic every time.

Top Bottom