Bass Strings

beeejums

Reaction score
I don't think they make as much of a difference as ukulele strings, perhaps, but what kind of strings do you guys recommend for a punchier sound? I had been using these black flatwound jazz strings that I liked, but I can't find them anymore, and I think I should branch out.

Suggestions?

I don't think they make as much of a difference as ukulele strings, perhaps, but what kind of strings do you guys recommend for a punchier sound? I had been using these black flatwound jazz strings that I liked, but I can't find them anymore, and I think I should branch out.

Suggestions?

First off, bass strings make a HUGE difference in the sound your bass will make.

Anyway, if your looking for a good "punchier" sound I'd try the Ernie Ball 2834 Super Slinky Round Wound Bass Strings. Put those babies on with a nice amp and a freshly cleaned and conditioned fret board and they will blow your mind!

Here's a link to them on Musiciansfriend.com
http://accessories.musiciansfriend....er-Slinky-Round-Wound-Bass-Strings?sku=100752

or if you like heavier gauge:
http://accessories.musiciansfriend....ar-Slinky-Round-Wound-Bass-Strings?sku=100750

there's other ones too, but I'd try the Ernie Ball, and pick up some of their wipes too, very nice and easy to use, I actually like Fender cleaning products more, but if you want a quick clean then go with the Ernie wipes.

I have tried and liked ernie ball. Last time I got them from musiciansfriend they had a sale and I got those wipes for free (haven't actually tried them.)

I also like Fodera strings. Round wound nickel were my string of choice.

Try juststrings.com too.

Call me crazy but I have always had a thing for Blue Steels.

Most things are punchier than flat wounds.
If you're really into those, however, you might find half rounds (or ground wounds) to your liking. They are basically round wound strings that have been ground flat on the outside.

I tried a set of ground wounds (I usually play flat wounds) and I couldn't get them off my bass fast enough! I gave them to my bass teacher and he loved them.

The strings I used to use were made by Fender, and I liked the way they sound, but I'm looking for something different now. I'll try the Ernie Balls, and I'll google how to take care of my fretboard properly...

My bass needs some love.

right now ive been playing DR Hi-Beams and seriously a little pricy but great strings. you mentioned flat wound, are you using a fretless? cause that could make a difference in your string buying venture.

Flat-wounds are probably the least punchy. ;) I liked the D'Addario Half-Rounds. In between flat and round. If you're into flat-wounds but want a punchy sound, these are for you.

I use those Thomastik-Infeld Jazz strings. They seem to last a long time and sound great.

Rotosound 66 Swing bass. Sound great, feel great, 10 on the punch scale.

I like the sound of Dean Markley SR2000's. They have a winding that tapers down toward the bridge, where only the solid core rides over the saddles. Reminds me a little of a piano bass string being plucked. Bright attack and good sustain.

The strings on my bass were already old when I bought it used more than 20 years ago.

Sound is fine, no intonation problems (well, it's a fretless!), they feel right...

The question is, why should they be changed?

Top Bottom