In Search of Wide Neck 19" Scale Acoustic Tenor

Dr.Ukenstein

Reaction score
Here is something that has eluded my searches. Your help is much appreciated. As the title says and more... The neck should be in the 43 mm range of width and well braced for stainless steel strings. My plan is to convert it to a non-entrant tenor with an added low D-string and use it as my boat/travel accompaniment instrument. Yes, a true 5-string uke. No pick-up, no amp, no cord, just happy notes floating into the air to join an equally joyful voice that may not be tuned so nearly precise. Any suggestions?

The only 19"-scale tenor guitar I'm aware of is the Maccaferri TV Pal Tenor Guitar, but I doubt it has a 43 mm nut. In any case, modifying one is practically a crime given how hard they are to find.

Few tenors sport such wide nuts. The easiest solution would be to buy a decent 1/4 size acoustic guitar and go to town on the neck.

Wow! Thank You very much, B. David. I did not know the 1/4 scale guitar even existed. From a quick I-Net search, looks like I have some good choices there. Thanks, again.

Homing in on an Oscar Schmidt OGQS w/ 38 mm fret width, 19" scale. Just have to drop a tuner, carefully cut three new notches in the fret nut, equally carefully drill three holes in the bridge, replace the compensated ivory bridge with a straight one and install the highest 5 of a 6 string set of EB Super Slinky strings. Then, tune DGCEA. Any better conversion ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance. Dr. U.

Top Bottom