Music for Baby's First Luau

MrsMeyerMusic

Reaction score
My husband and I have been asked to play at a Baby's First Luau. What music would be appropriate that event?

briefly, with few wahine (Maoli or Local) and the mortality rate of babies in hawai`i during plantation days being very high, they celebrated the first year of a baby's life with a big lu`au.

i'm assuming the people are from Hawai`i (I have `ohana stay wisconsin), so I'd try to ask them on what kine Hawaiiana they want. could range from Hapa Haole, to Renaissance, to Jawaiian. maybe mix it up.

briefly, with few wahine (Maoli or Local) and the mortality rate of babies in hawai`i during plantation days being very high, they celebrated the first year of a baby's life with a big lu`au.

i'm assuming the people are from Hawai`i (I have `ohana stay wisconsin), so I'd try to ask them on what kine Hawaiiana they want. could range from Hapa Haole, to Renaissance, to Jawaiian. maybe mix it up.

I understood half of the paragraphs in your post. But thanks for the explanation!

This is for a family from Lanai. I have three of their five children in music class. I will ask them what they would like specifically, but I thought it would be intersting to see if there are any standards or favorites for an event like this. I have never attended one and my knowledge of them is limited to what 1014 shared.

e kala mai. sorry, in my analog life i mix up Hawaiian, Pidgin and Standard too.

mo' short: in plantation Hawai`i, very few women + high death rate of babies = a reason to celebrate the first birthday.

it's a really, really big occasion for a lot of Local (Hawai`i) families.

It's become such a tradition that most of the ethnicities in Hawai'i celebrate their child's first birthday. As far as music goes, a mix of traditional, contemporary and hapa haole tunes will always work. TSH has both (Local Jams & Hawaiian Meles) and you can find lyrics to Hapa Haole songs here.

Origins of the Lu`au

In ancient times the Hawaiian people would gather together to celebrate auspicious occasions with a feast. These celebrations were held for many reasons, including to honor a great victory in war or noble warrior or to celebrate a bountiful harvest or the birth of a new child. The Hawaiians believed that it was important to honor their gods and to seek their fellowship, help or pardon. They believed that prosperity should be shared with family and friends. This celebration was called ‘aha‘aina meaning gathering (‘aha) for a meal (‘aina).

Referring to these celebrations as lu‘aus came much later in 1856 (Pukui-Elbert Hawaiian Dictionary, 1971). Lu‘au, in Hawaiian, means the young edible leaves of the taro plant. These leaves were traditionally used to wrap food that was placed in an imu (underground oven).

Last edited:
How about "Hello My Baby"? :D

JJ

O' Tiare by Justin Young is a very beautiful song for a baby. You can find it in tropicalstormhawaii.com under local jams.:shaka:

not so much Baby-centric songs, but I figure Israel Kamakawiwo`ole songs would work well:

somewhere over the rainbow/wonderful world.
henehene kou aka

I like hearing "ka uluwehi o ke kai", "papalina lahilahi" and "noho paipai"

`ahulili, `akaka falls, makee ailana, hawaiian lullabye are a few others.

newer stuff: i like ka`au crater boys, ho`aikane, kapena stuff. so much to name!

Nice one, brah . . . btw, I wen send the email with pics. And just for you MrsMeyerMusic:

Code:
‘O Tiare
Justin Kawika Young

F
So new is your smile
.........Bb.................F                                                                           
And your eyes they shine so bright
..........C7........................F.....C7
When you sleep the world waits for you
F
So small in daddy’s arms
Bb.....................F
And so loved in Mama’s touch
.......C7..........................F.....F7
As you grow you sisters will guide you

Chorus
	Bb
	‘O Tiare
	C7    F
	Ia . . alofa le atua
	Bb        C7      F
	Ma tausi ia . . . teoi

As we leave on that road
Through the desert darkened night
We’ll take new memories of you
Each time we return
Seems you’ve grown so much so fast 
But your smile is never fading

Chorus

So new is your smile 
And your eyes they shine so bright
When you sleep the world waits for you

Chorus (2X)
O O Oh  Tiare

O Tiare sounds perfect.

Mahalo FHS-72 and Kanaka916! I will work on 'O Tiare and see if I can get it down by August! :shaka:

You'll probably wanna pass on "Drop Baby Drop"....:D (I couldn't help it. I apologize....)

Maybe I'm Yours? Everybody seems to love that one...

Top Bottom