Romero ST high G or low G?

mikelz777

Reaction score
I am a new owner (3 mos.) of a Romero ST solid top laminate and I love the sound but still I am left wondering. It came strung with a low G which is the only low G uke I own. The low G sound took some getting used to but I grew to appreciate it over time. Last night I was playing through my songbook and was surprised at the number of songs that would have sounded better with a high G, particularly those songs which had portions that were finger picked. Are there any Romero ST owners out there who have strung theirs with a high G and prefer the high G over the low G?

I’m a TT , solid top, laminate back and sides owner. I’ve had it in high g since I got it from HMS. I’ve never considered putting it in low g because I only play high g. I like sound of low g, just have never spent much more than a week at a time on any of my tenors in low g. Nice thing for you is that since you are in low g, is easy to put high g on and let strings settle and see how you like it. The solid tops are nice ukes. Too bad they discontinued them. I like my TT so much, now I’m wanted to try and buy a solid top TT. LOL

I just got an ST Concert laminated mahogany. I love the sound of Low G on it, very rich. Good luck with yours!

Low-G is great for finger picking some types of songs. I wouldn't want it for my only ukulele, though.

I think I may be fretting about (rimshot) and creating potential worries where there are none. I was playing the Romero ST with low G again earlier today and I really do love the sound. It's warm, full and resonant with wonderful sustain. Why would I want to change that? If I come across a song that would sound better with a high G then I have 4 other ukes at my disposal which would fill that bill. This is my only uke strung with a low G and it sounds wonderful so maybe that's the role it should play in my uke collection. I think I may have been thinking that it should be everything in all situations but for me it's not. Another example, if I'm playing a song where I like to chuck/chunk (pick your favorite), I would rather play it on any of my other 4 ukes than I would the Romero. I think that any of us that has more than 2 ukes understands that there probably isn't such a thing as a uke that will fit all situations at all times, that sometimes you'll want a different sound than a single uke might be able to provide. The Romero has a sound unlike any of my other ukes so I just have to shift my perspective a bit a let it fill that role rather than trying to make it sound more like what I already have.

Last edited:
....I think that any of us that has more than 2 ukes understands that there probably isn't such a thing as a uke that will fit all situations at all times, that sometimes you'll want a different sound than a single uke might be able to provide....

True dat!

But what about those 5-stringers that have both low and high G? Oh man, I don't wanna even find out! :D

I love my low G kamaka ukulele as well but does still play many high g songs. I’m mostly do finger picking. What I do is I played my high g notes on E string. I simply add 3 fret positions on a E string for a high g (4th string) fret position. For the strumming, I use the same chord position, but a lighter touch on the low g string.

Top Bottom