Another Humidity Option

colemole

Reaction score
Hello all

I live in Canada where the winters come with low humidity concerns for those of us with solid instruments. I am away from home for a month or two at times during the winter and my wife is not excited about having to fuss with my instruments while I am away.
I am considering using a non functional small 5 cubic foot chest deep freeze for a humidity case while I am away. I removed the compressor, washed the deep freeze out well and used a mix of vinegar and water for a final rinse.
Three questions. Any thoughts or concerns about issues with this plan? How many Boveda packages of the 49% humidity would a person require in here to maintain the ideal humidity for a mix of 4 concert and tenor ukuleles. Any other options to maintain the humidity?
Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have.
Colemole

Some people have taken large plastic storage containers, the type you'd be able to slide under a bed and used those as humidity chambers so to speak. They would lay the ukes in the container and then they would add one or more wet sponges (not dripping wet) before closing the lid. The sponges were placed in plastic sandwich bags left open so the moisture could escape while the plastic bag prevents anything that might touch the sponge from getting wet. I don't think the lids on the containers were air-tight but they supposedly were tight enough to hold the humidity in the container higher than the room humidity. You'd definitely want a hygrometer in there and experiment with the number of sponges and wetness to arrive at the humidity target you'd be looking for.

Since you already have the freezer prepped. Why don’t you try it. Out a Uke or two in. Add some Bodeva packs. I use Planet Waves and keep two packs in a tenor! Go to Home Depot and spend $10 and buy a humidity gauge. I got two and they are digital, run on a AA battery and can go longer than a year or more with battery. You could then see how you did a month in. At least checking weekly you could gauge any what humidity freezer kept ukes at.

I’m going to Australia for three month and gave four Tenor I need to protect. So I’m looking for options. Currently I have them in cases. Oasis in sound hole and a2-3 humidity packs from planet waves. I don’t know if they will do the whole three months or not.

Post what you find after experimentation.
Thanks

I don't like your idea to put your ukes in some close compartment where air never changes. Cases are better, but as your wife would not bother to take care of them, they are essentially the same but less dangerous to overhumifify. Instead buy a room humidifier, a steaming one.

It will take good care also of her skin, and while it won't most likely give some optimum 45% RH humidity, it will keep them from cracking. Needs just tap water like 8-10 litres a day. And then easier for her get naked for you in cam too lol.

To properly humidity they really have to be monitored on a regular basis.
I don't think you could put too many Boveda packs in. Since they work both ways it should never get too wet or dry in there. That said, if they all dry up while you're gone they won't be able to add any humidity. So those would have to be checked too. There are too many variables to put forth a solid plan that will for sure work. There's just no way around monitoring.

I leave my solid body ukes in a cloths closet with two 5 gal buckets of water on the floor. The ukes go in there cases with Oasis humidifiers. The closet stays at a fairly constant 40%. Been doing this for years with no problems.

Meanwhile outside the closet the humidity ranges from 10 - 45% here in northern Nevada.

Last edited:
If you have a good quality hardcase the Bovida packs are all you need. I regularly monitor the humidity inside my hardcases while a uke is in there with a hygrometer. It is very stable with just an Oasis soundhole humidifier. If you want farther protection slide the hardcase into a plastic garbage bag and twist tie it shut.

I have said this before at the beginning of every dry season, people get way to paranoid about this stuff. If a uke is kept inside a hardcase for months on end the humidity will remain stable, I have measured that, not guessed.

But all that being said if you have the freezer all ready to go it sounds like it will work. It is air tight so will keep moisture in, no idea how many Bovida packs it will need.

Last edited:
If it is really airtight, I would worry more about growing mold than humidity. I have and really like the boveda system. I believe that you are actually humidifying not only your instruments but the entire inside of your cases as well. I would toss a few of the big boveda packs in each instrument case, one near the sound hole and one near the neck. I would think you would be fine. You can recharge the humidity packs if need be when you return in a month or two. Good luck! Hope it works out for you.

Hello all

I live in Canada where the winters come with low humidity concerns for those of us with solid instruments. I am away from home for a month or two at times during the winter and my wife is not excited about having to fuss with my instruments while I am away.
I am considering using a non functional small 5 cubic foot chest deep freeze for a humidity case while I am away. I removed the compressor, washed the deep freeze out well and used a mix of vinegar and water for a final rinse.
Three questions. Any thoughts or concerns about issues with this plan? How many Boveda packages of the 49% humidity would a person require in here to maintain the ideal humidity for a mix of 4 concert and tenor ukuleles. Any other options to maintain the humidity?
Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have.
Colemole

If you are not using the instrument, put a humidifier in the case, get one of those super absorbent cloths or sponges, grab a large thick garbage bag, and put the sponge and a few uke cases in the bag and seal tie shut. The cloth or sponge will rehumidify the air in the bag, the in case humidifier will rehumidify the air in the case, and the garbage bag will seal your ukes from the dry air outside the bag.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. My progress so far has not been successful. The deep freeze when closed builds up a musty smell. I have been airing it out with the lid open then closed with baking soda to freshen it up but still seems to build up after a bit. Will keep at it for a bit but likely not comfortable enough to put my ukes in there until I am sure there is no odour.
I will likely try the humidity packs and the plastic bag suggestions for my next trip.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Top Bottom