Weird Giannini baritone nut

Hanzalot

Reaction score
Hi

Just bought this 70s Giannini Baritone. I haven't received it yet but wanted to ask you guys about its nut which looks unlike any other Giannini I can find online. It looks as if there is small wood block on the headstock side of the nut. Does anyone have any info about this sort of nut placement on Gianninis (and in general)?

1877E91F-CAD7-48E3-8093-9E1F02483D26.jpg

B719F470-17E5-41A5-B165-CA1C8BB1A473.jpg

46044C89-F033-4F09-AC4B-49463B2882A3.jpg

Thanks for your help!
Hans

Last edited:
That first pic looks really odd. After looking at all the pics, it just simply looks like the other side of the nut slot. Some instruments are built like that (with a slot) and others just simply have the nut up against the end of the fingerboard instead of sitting in a slot like that. That one is a bit exaggerated on that side of things, but I think that's what we're looking at.

It may be the intonation was off so the luthier moved the nut closer. As long as the intonation it on, no problem. Giannini went thru some changes in the '70's. I have one like I've never seen before. A larger deeper body with different script. I think it's from after the US distributor changed.

I've had three G's. They are nice.

It may be the intonation was off so the luthier moved the nut closer. As long as the intonation it on, no problem.

Thanks! That was my guess as well. Hopefully the intonation will be on. And fun to hear about the variations.

Top Bottom