The Generations Flea

cpatch

Reaction score
4 days until I have my custom Flea in hand! (Yes, this is in addition to the Tom Guy...tax refunds are dangerous.) I'm referring to her as the "Generations" Flea because she combines a contemporary uke design and high-tech (MiSi) pickup with a centuries-old, sinker redwood top. This is actually the second sinker redwood Flea made that I'm aware of (here's the first: http://fleamuseum.blogspot.com/2007/07/sinker-flea.html) and the first Flea with a MiSi. (It may also be one of the most expensive Fleas made, all costs included!)

Hopefully I'll have photos to post by the weekend.

Last edited:
4 days until I have my custom Flea in hand! (Yes, this is in addition to the Tom Guy...tax refunds are dangerous.) I'm referring to her as the "Generations" Flea because she combines a contemporary uke design and high-tech (MiSi) pickup with a centuries-old, sinker redwood top. This is actually the second sinker redwood Flea made that I'm aware of (here's the first: http://fleamuseum.blogspot.com/2007/07/sinker-flea.html) and the first Flea with a MiSi.

Aw crap! And here I thought it would have the Star Trek comlink/badge painted on it....:biglaugh:

Wow that sounds awesome! I liked the story of the sinker wood - who would have thought that with a skiff and a hand winch you could raise that much board feet of old redwood? It makes we want to don my scuba gear and start poking around some of the rivers here in Oregon.....

That's awesome, can't wait to see the pictures. I'd like one made from 30,000 year old New Zealand Bog Kauri Wood. I was also thinking a carbon-graphite sound board flea would make the ultimate weather resistant 'ukulele.

I'd like one made from 30,000 year old New Zealand Bog Kauri Wood.
I've also got an all-wood banjolele with ancient kauri back and sides on order from a luthier in New Zealand (which is where I'm from originally)! :p

Last edited:
Here's a shot of the top of the Flea:

picture.php

Last edited:
I once found a Redwood log washed up on the beach at Olowalu, Maui this thing being about 4 feet in diameter, and about 16 feet long. At the time I was in charge of all shoreline waters in Maui District so I was instructed by Honolulu to remove this hazard from the beach before someone gets hurt. Using a chainsaw I cut it up into manageable blocks and literally threw a ton of it into my work truck for disposal at local landfill. Counting the growth rings I figured this tree was close to 2000 years old so I couldn't just throw it away. Being a woodworker and wood turner I wound up taking it home and stacking it in the back of my garage. When I moved back to Oahu after my parents recent passing I kept allot of it (no room or money to move all) so now I have enough Redwood to probably do a 100 'ukulele sound boards. I'm planning on a special order Jarana Mosquito (sort of a Mexican soprano Taropatch) to be custom built using native Milo wood for the body and neck with the Redwood for my top. I have a Mexican luthier all lined up, just need to send the wood to him. :shaka:

Any chance of some more pics?
Sure thing. This one shows more of the grain along with the MiSi pickup peeking out of both sides of the saddle:

picture.php

And here's the output jack. Note that there is no volume control, by request. (I hate the way the volume knob looks and also have an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic DI that I use for volume.)

picture.php

Last edited:
Very cool, cpatch. Can I get greedy and get a sound sample?

4 days until I have my custom Flea in hand! (Yes, this is in addition to the Tom Guy...tax refunds are dangerous.) I'm referring to her as the "Generations" Flea because she combines a contemporary uke design and high-tech (MiSi) pickup with a centuries-old, sinker redwood top. This is actually the second sinker redwood Flea made that I'm aware of (here's the first: http://fleamuseum.blogspot.com/2007/07/sinker-flea.html) and the first Flea with a MiSi. (It may also be one of the most expensive Fleas made, all costs included!)

Can I have some of your tax return?...:)

Here's a shot of the top of the Flea:

picture.php

Wow, cpatch - I don't like Fleas, but I think for this one I could make an exception - not just the redwood, but the other specs, too - beautiful!

Top Bottom