Waiting for a Uke

Jerryc41

Reaction score
Don't you find it frustrating waiting for a new uke to arrive? I'm not talking days. I'm talking months. Three or four ukes kept me waiting four months or more. In a case like that, I try to put it out of my mind,
and then I'm glad to get a notice that it has shipped.

The ones that are taking a week or less to arrive really stir me up because I can't put them out of my mind.

Have you ever decided not to order a uke because of the long waiting time?

I've been waiting for a custom uke from South Africa for almost 5 months. At first I was told about 2 months, but that turned into 3, then 4 a couple weeks ago when he said he would ship the next week. He's kept me up on the progress, but so far no notice of shipping. I emailed twice now but haven't heard back. I know he's busy, but a little better communication would be great. I've never held back on a purchase because of shipping time, but will get anxious when it's delayed.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Yes, it took 3 days to simply get an e-mail reply from a custom builder. By then, I changed my mind to a design I can build myself. For me, the delay was and is a blessing. Be joyful.

I'm considering ordering a Ukulele with a 20 month or more wait. So yeah. But I think it's the Ukuleles with a shorter wait period of a couple of months that create more of checking the calendar.

I just ordered a uke from Cripple Creek Mandolins. It's only a 10 week wait but even with that I had to order another new sop to hold me over until then.

Never had long to wait for any of my ukes........but then I don't buy custom ukes.......there're plenty of good ukes already out there for a lot less price wise..... so why bother ordering a custom one & having to wait months, or even years, maybe. :music:

Don't you find it frustrating waiting for a new uke to arrive? I'm not talking days. I'm talking months. Three or four ukes kept me waiting four months or more. In a case like that, I try to put it out of my mind,

The ones that are taking a week or less to arrive really stir me up because I can't put them out of my mind.

Must be especially tough for you Jerry. I mean, what will you play while you're waiting? :smileybounce:

I am so curious, what have you ordered that you are waiting so long for? Must be a very special uke.

I've been waiting for a custom uke from South Africa for almost 5 months. At first I was told about 2 months, but that turned into 3, then 4 a couple weeks ago when he said he would ship the next week. He's kept me up on the progress, but so far no notice of shipping. I emailed twice now but haven't heard back. I know he's busy, but a little better communication would be great. I've never held back on a purchase because of shipping time, but will get anxious when it's delayed.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 11 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 35)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I was told my custom would not be ready until the beginning of 2020. It was ready in Sept. That was a nice surprise.

Yes, it took 3 days to simply get an e-mail reply from a custom builder. By then, I changed my mind to a design I can build myself. For me, the delay was and is a blessing. Be joyful.

I know what you mean. After waiting too long for a reply, I also have looked elsewhere - not just for ukes. For one thing, you have to consider the efficiency of the builder or seller. If it's one guy doing everything, that's not ideal.

Must be especially tough for you Jerry. I mean, what will you play while you're waiting? :smileybounce:

Yes, that is a definite problem. I go through pages of uke listings, and when I decide on one to play, I have to find it. By then, it's probably too late, and I have to leave the house. :D

I'm kidding, of course. I have two or three current players in the living room, and I rotate them regularly. I love the variety of feels and sounds. I have to start selling some, though. Maybe in the spring.

I am so curious, what have you ordered that you are waiting so long for? Must be a very special uke.

Oooh! You are so clever! I tried to word that carefully, so it didn't look like I had ordered anything. The long wait did cause me to hesitate, but I went ahead with it. Hopefully, around April of next year, I'll be posting a NUD. I have to be patient, and so do you. :D

18 months and counting here, since making a deposit on a custom uke from a brilliant luthier with no specified completion date. I swore this would be my last. Maybe it’s better not having a target date. The long wait with unknown finish date, were told to me at the beginning, so no problem. Oddly it was started over a year ago. There’s no count down, just a vague hope it will be finished sometime in the not too distant future. Actually, there’s something enjoyable about the anticipation.

I think that if I had to wait for something for a year or more that I would keep looking at other ukuleles and find something that I would rather have and then feel bad that I was stuck with whatever it was that I was waiting for. Either that, or I would build it up in my mind until it was so fabulous and great that when it finally showed up the reality would be disappointing. I'm sure of that because it has happened to me with other things in similar circumstances.

I think that if I had to wait for something for a year or more that I would keep looking at other ukuleles and find something that I would rather have and then feel bad that I was stuck with whatever it was that I was waiting for. Either that, or I would build it up in my mind until it was so fabulous and great that when it finally showed up the reality would be disappointing. I'm sure of that because it has happened to me with other things in similar circumstances.

Wow! Looking back, I see that I had to wait a month or more for six ukes. Fortunately, none was a disappointment. Another type of wait that's annoying is cheap shipping that takes a week or more in the USA. I've had people charge fast prices but ship slow.

Wow! Looking back, I see that I had to wait a month or more for six ukes. Fortunately, none was a disappointment. Another type of wait that's annoying is cheap shipping that takes a week or more in the USA. I've had people charge fast prices but ship slow.

I've become pretty spoiled when it comes to shipping. I've come to expect fast and free. Not saying that I won't pay shipping, but when I do I take notice.

Jerry, I don't care how long I wait. I Can be very patient if I know that the wait will be worth it.
If I didn't have a decent uke to play while I wait, I might get a bit frustrated.....or if I couldn't play anymore. :eek:ld:

Top Bottom