Jazzy Ragtime Songs?

psesinkclee

Reaction score
I'm looking to expand my song knowledge in the realm of jazz/ragtime kind of music. I know Five Foot Two, Ain't She Sweet, and Tiptoe Through The Tulips.

I've got a banjolele from Dave at Waverly Street Ukulele and would love to learn some more songs that fit in that kind of groove. I'll be bringing my banjolele with to S.Africa where i'm doing thesis research for 2 months and need to brush up on some jazz standards that would sound good on it.

Thanks!

Howlin Hobbit's YouTube channel has a lot of great old tunes, and he has some tabbed too. I'm working on his Ain't Misbehavin' arrangement -- that'd be a good one to start with.

Ian Chadwick posted some PDFs of old uke song books: http://www.ianchadwick.com/essays/musicbooks.htm You can probably find some good stuff in there.

You should also think of doing some New Orleans jazz tunes -- Preservation Hall would be the obvious place to start. Some of those gospel tunes would be great for banjo uke, like His Eye Is On The Sparrow, Just A Closer Walk With Thee, etc...

I envy your cool uke -- glad you're putting it to good use!

Howlin Hobbit's YouTube channel has a lot of great old tunes, and he has some tabbed too. I'm working on his Ain't Misbehavin' arrangement -- that'd be a good one to start with.

Ian Chadwick posted some PDFs of old uke song books: http://www.ianchadwick.com/essays/musicbooks.htm You can probably find some good stuff in there.

You should also think of doing some New Orleans jazz tunes -- Preservation Hall would be the obvious place to start. Some of those gospel tunes would be great for banjo uke, like His Eye Is On The Sparrow, Just A Closer Walk With Thee, etc...

I envy your cool uke -- glad you're putting it to good use!

Wow Ian Chadwicks site is new to me and an amazing resource! Thanks for sharing!
And yes, Howlin Hobit has some of the best songs as well!

I admire and envy your talent, HH, to be able to read those pages with any ease. I still want to have chord diagrams for a lot of those chords. And I'm lazy enough to like having the chords above the lyrics. But it is a good resource I can cut-n-paste from.​

I admire and envy your talent, HH, to be able to read those pages with any ease. I still want to have chord diagrams for a lot of those chords. And I'm lazy enough to like having the chords above the lyrics. But it is a good resource I can cut-n-paste from.​

Oh, believe me, I look up a lot of fingerings! And sometimes I put them together with the lyrics and on some of the really tough ones I paste the chord diagrams in.

That Vanilla Book site (Ralph Patt's Jazz We Page) is a gold mine. Thanks for the reference.

-- Al

Just won a couple more vintage ukes song books on eBay. Will scan and post them as soon as they arrive. Check back for updates!​

i'm also wanting to learn some ragtime uke tunes... but tabs are hard to find. so any links or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wow, what a great thread here! Dr Uke has some great stuff on his site for those of you that have not been there before. Thanks ichadwick for sharing those great songbooks with all of us!

Hey, has anyone used the Ragtime Uke book holdincoffee referred to above? Is it worth buying?

Top Bottom