Custom Case - DIY

Here's my thread about customizing my Reunion Blues case for my Blackbird Clara. In the 4th paragraph I describe how I did it.
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...ntal-Travel-Case&highlight=Reunion+blues+case

Like the video Jerry posted, I needed a way to fill in the extra space & better fit my uniquely shaped Clara. I have thought about making a customized insert like the guy in the video. It would need to be one that I could slip in and out was needed, in case I use the RB travel case for a different uke. I'm leaving tomorrow to visit family & attend a uke festival, so I'll see how my system works, and if I need to make something more customized.

Thanks for posting this Jerry.

Last edited:
Great thread, thanks for posting Jerry. I have a notion to do this myself. Much appreciated post. UU rules again. Great community.

The Collings case I have for the Collings uke is not just the foam that is made to fit but the entire outline of the frame. The frame is no more than a inch or 2 more than the uke and it is a pretty solid case. Collings ukes are great but the one thing no other uke is even close to it is the quality of the case. There is a podcast with fretboard journal where he talks about the case. He talks about it at the 3:00 min mark https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcast/podcast-70-bill-collings-collings-guitars/

The Collings case I have for the Collings uke is not just the foam that is made to fit but the entire outline of the frame. The frame is no more than a inch or 2 more than the uke and it is a pretty solid case. Collings ukes are great but the one thing no other uke is even close to it is the quality of the case. There is a podcast with fretboard journal where he talks about the case. He talks about it at the 3:00 min mark https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcast/podcast-70-bill-collings-collings-guitars/

Yes, they do have nice cases - no excess.

Thanks for the link.

Kerneltime,
If you have time, it'd be helpful for me if you could post or send (JWukulele at geemail) photos of your Collings Case.
Thanks for posting the link to the podcast w/ Bill Collings on cases.
Curious if yours has a tag w/ any info on it? The recent ones have this tag.

Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 4.49.31 PM.jpg

The first Collings case I had had some very surprising QC issues (instrument, so far is near-perfect).
Luckily (& I do mean *by chance*) the situation has been resolved.

The fit is close & the design is quite streamlined.
If/when it leaves the house, I may also want a tad more insulating/shock protection over the outermost layer.

Wukulele - The case that came with my Collings uke is the same as yours - made by GWW in Costa Rica. It is a very nice case.

As far as I am aware, Collings does not make uke cases. The podcast is referring primarily to guitar cases. Their case lineup can be seen here:

https://store.collingsguitars.com/collections/cases?sort_by=manual

Last edited:
Kerneltime,
If you have time, it'd be helpful for me if you could post or send (JWukulele at geemail) photos of your Collings Case.
Thanks for posting the link to the podcast w/ Bill Collings on cases.
Curious if yours has a tag w/ any info on it? The recent ones have this tag.

View attachment 123933
Thanks for pointing this out and yes it is the same. I still do believe these are custom made for Collings maybe not in US by Collings themselves. If some one knows where to get a case with those dimensions I would love to buy more. My Cocobolo tenor fits in perfectly and the case takes a lot less space than the uke crazy case.

Nice! Of course spending several hundred dollars on a foam cutter would put a damper on the project. :D
You're not thinking about this like a tool-head ;) It's an excuse to buy more tools! Of course, TAS might interfere with UAS....

Seriously, I'd expect a hot wire foam cutter to work well for this if you don't already have Adam's tool collection. They're readily DIYable, and turnkey versions are pretty inexpensive.

The bigger limit is more likely to be the sewing machine. I'm not sure a standard consumer machine will sew well through that many layers. My wife's a quilter and has specialized quilting machines that cost more than my combined musical instrument collection. And yes: Sewing-Machine-Acquisition-Syndrome is a thing too.

If you have access to a decent maker space they probably have both sewing machines and foam cutters, as well as people who know how to use them and are willing to mentor.

You're not thinking about this like a tool-head ;) It's an excuse to buy more tools! Of course, TAS might interfere with UAS....

Seriously, I'd expect a hot wire foam cutter to work well for this if you don't already have Adam's tool collection. They're readily DIYable, and turnkey versions are pretty inexpensive.

The bigger limit is more likely to be the sewing machine. I'm not sure a standard consumer machine will sew well through that many layers. My wife's a quilter and has specialized quilting machines that cost more than my combined musical instrument collection. And yes: Sewing-Machine-Acquisition-Syndrome is a thing too.

If you have access to a decent maker space they probably have both sewing machines and foam cutters, as well as people who know how to use them and are willing to mentor.

I didn't like that case at all. The inside was great, but that white, soft outside? One of these days, I'm going to find a uke that's too loose in its case, and I'll rip out the inside and replace it with custom-fitted foam. I could cut it on a band saw. The stiff insulation foam would work, especially with a fabric covering.

that white, soft outside?
Yeah. The parachute cloth probably isn’t bad, but white is the last color I’d want for a case to toss in an airplane overhead. We’re I to make one I’d probably do denim or canvas for the outside and some nice soft faux-fur to line the inside. I’d also include pockets in the foam for extra strings and tuners and a strap.

And since I doubt I’ll ever make one I can over spec it. I might as well dream high and imagine making it out of carbon fiber. It should be a pretty easy shape to mold.

Or do the faux-fur on the outside, give it googley eyes, and name it Ukey-monster.

Top Bottom