Please help

devino93

Reaction score
How do you play e/C, [C(alt)], and [Fadd9]??? a link for a instructional video, tabs, or anything helpful would be appreciated. :D

i might be wrong but i think a C/E is just 0003 and an fadd9 is 0010 - not sure what that other chord is you've got there friend. no doubt someone will be along soon to explain in more detail

E/C is an E chord with a C as the bass. If you have a uke strung with a low G string you could play this as 5442 but for the most part the bass note after the slash is ignored when playing the uke.

C(alt) is an altered chord, which means you alter the 5th by raising or lowering it a semitone (or not playing it at all). On the uke the 5th (E) in a basic C chord (0003) is played open so you'd have to raise it (giving you 1003) or mute it (giving you x003). Try both and see which sounds best. (If you're playing the C higher on the fretboard, such as 5433, you could play 5423, 5443, or 54x3.)

For Fadd9 (and other such chords) the best thing to do is find a chord chart online or buy a uke chord book. Here's a basic chord chart to get you going:

http://www.org/downloads/Ctuning.pdf

Last edited:
E/C is an E chord with a C as the bass. If you have a uke strung with a low G string you could play this as 5442 but for the most part the bass note after the slash is ignored when playing the uke.

For Fadd9 (and other such chords) the best thing to do is find a chord chart online or buy a uke chord book. Here's a basic chord chart to get you going:

http://www.ukulele.org/downloads/Ctuning.pdf

C(alt) means you alter the 5th by raising or lowering it a semitone (or not playing it at all). On the uke the 5th in a C chord is played open so you'd have to raise it, giving you 1003, or mute it, giving you x003.

thank god for people like you! i read it as C/E :eek:

I play the Fadd9 as 2030...or at least that's what I've been calling it.

Yeah, that's a nice-sounding chord, and I use it a lot myself. But it's actually an Fadd9 without the "F" note! If you wanted to put the F back in, 0010 would do the trick.

JJ

Very true. But the main exception is, as in this case, when the note at the "bottom" of the slash isn't normally in the chord at the "top" of the slash.

Really, an E/C is a Caug(maj7). Whatever you call it, it can be played as 1002.

C(alt) is an altered chord, which means you alter the 5th by raising or lowering it a semitone (or not playing it at all).

Depending on the song and context, you might play a C(alt) as a Calt7. Especially on jazzy tunes. So you'd want to make sure to throw the dominant 7th in there, and probably either a b9 or #9 too. A #11 wouldn't be out of the question either.

A complete alt7 chord has at least five notes in it, and the uke has just four strings. Needless to say, something's gotta give.

If you want to leave out the root (which often works quite well), you could play a Calt7 as 3444*. That'll cover your b7, 3, #5, and b9, in that order.

Make it a 2446 if you'd prefer a #9 instead of b9.

Or play it as 2442 if you want to put back the C at the expense of losing the altered ninth.

JJ

* Yes, that's the same as a rootless F#9. You can always substitute a 9 chord a tritone away for an alt chord.

Hmmm I've seen these chords before, let me guess, The Penalty by Beirut?

The chord shapes are in the pdf here.

Not sure about the chord names though, they have the e/C there as 0007, C(alt) as 0403 and Fadd9 as 0010. I don't know if the naming is correct, I can only say that it sounds correct for this song.

Top Bottom