Ohana SK-39 String choice.

Astein2006

Reaction score
Hey all. Just picked up an SK-39. If anyone owns one what strings do you like on yours and why? I have m-600’s on mine and I like them enough but was considering Worth Browns. Thoughts??

Just my opinion, but a Martin style 3 copy suits Martin strings or fluorocarbons in general. I had an SK-39 and ended up selling it and getting an SK-38 because I didn't like the extra frets getting in the way of my finger picking, but that SK-39 sure was pretty.

Ultimately, it's your preference, but if you're thinking the SK-39 is too punchy, the Browns might just sound thin on it. I seem to recall I tried some Freemont Blacks on mine and it was kind of meh. Still, strings are fun to experiment with. Let us know if you try the Browns or something else.

I recently got tired of paying too much for ukulele strings in Australia.

So I bought some rolls of high quality Japanese made fluorocarbon leader. Each 60m roll cost about the same as one set of Worths strings delivered in Australia. Four 60m rolls cost the same as my usual bulk order of 4 sets of Worths strings. And about the same cost as a bulk buy of six sets of Aquila or the other brands.

They feel and sound just as good as Worth strings, possibly from the same factory in Japan. But they are not exactly like the browns or exactly like the clears.

PE is a rating related to string diameter, there is a chart you can find to turn it into mm or inches.
10 PE = A string
14 PE = E string
18 PE = C string
12 PE = high G string

They are just as good as any fluorocarbon ukulele strings I have tried on my sopranos. I will be fitting them to my Ohana soprano when the current set of strings wears out. I am also starting to share some with my friends who also are tired of high prices for strings. I can't read Japanese so I do not know what the text on the packet says.

I recommend you visit your local fishing shop and check out the prices of high quality leader in these sizes. Look up the PE conversion table so you have the list of PE and diameters because both types of labelling are used.

I have not tried these gauges on concert or tenor ukes yet.
Bills Uke Strings has a nice ring to it .

Mine didn't like my usual M600's so i put on worth browns and never looked back.

Cracking ukulele!

Mine didn't like my usual M600's so i put on worth browns and never looked back.

Cracking ukulele!

Someone i watch their videos on YT said the same thing. That’s why I’m curious. Can you explain the whys in your experience?

Top Bottom