Strap Button on Blackbird Clara

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I don't like the balance with a strap attached to the headstock. I asked around about putting a strap button on the body of the Clara. Blackbird recommended using a #6 1/2" sheetmetal screw, and that's what I did. I had some black strap buttons, so all I had to do was drill a hole.

That eKoa is tough! I found it more difficult than drilling into wood. After drilling the hole, it was difficult to get the screw to go in very far, so I had to enlarge the hole a bit by wiggling the drill bit. If you do this, enlarge the hole a bit at a time. I was afraid of breaking the screw or cracking the eKoa when it was tough screwing it in. I eventually got it large enough that it would screw in firmly.

Strap Button.jpg

I don't like the balance with a strap attached to the headstock. I asked around about putting a strap button on the body of the Clara. Blackbird recommended using a #6 1/2" sheetmetal screw, and that's what I did. I had some black strap buttons, so all I had to do was drill a hole.

That eKoa is tough! I found it more difficult than drilling into wood. After drilling the hole, it was difficult to get the screw to go in very far, so I had to enlarge the hole a bit by wiggling the drill bit. If you do this, enlarge the hole a bit at a time. I was afraid of breaking the screw or cracking the eKoa when it was tough screwing it in. I eventually got it large enough that it would screw in firmly.

View attachment 122610

Since it as a Custom, why didn't it come with that second strap button?

Since it as a Custom, why didn't it come with that second strap button?

When I emailed them, asking how to attach the button, they said they could attach it for me. Of course, that would mean sending it from NY to CA and back again. That would cost as much as a decent uke. Less than five minutes, and I had the button on the uke.

When I emailed them, asking how to attach the button, they said they could attach it for me. Of course, that would mean sending it from NY to CA and back again. That would cost as much as a decent uke. Less than five minutes, and I had the button on the uke.

Luckily you are very handy.

Top Bottom