Check this guy out

Russ Sonny Kemner

Reaction score
Russian 3 string uke = Balalaika

Someone needs to get this guy and Jake Shimabukuro together.

That would be phenomenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R145MXyUJU

I don't think I pasted the url correctly, but if you go to you tube and paste this into search, you gotta see this dude play.

Balalaika - Aleksei Arkhipovsky

The url works fine for me. I think we need to send this guy a uke!

I like the oarts where he has the side of his right palm on the strings right over the bridge, and he sustains notes with it. Really cool vid!

Is that a 3 string ukulele-thingy?

That is incredible! Love how he plays along with a delay FX. Spectacular, and a great performer as well! Thanks for the link!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Amazing how he can play and make a funny show at the same time :)

ha! Loved that part when he's uhh... just hammering and pulling off consistently and acting like it's nothing.

Wow type that guys name in on youtube Aleksei Arkhipovsky, sort by most views. Check out the ones where hes in all white, they're newer. Amazing.

Does anyone know how those are tuned?

Balalaika Underground, anyone?

Good find, Russ!

What a neat sound....kind of like a harp at times, kind of like a scitar at others. Also looks easy to hold with that triangular shape.

I'm off to Google scitars....

An amazing video. I knew next to nothing about the Balalaika. So I googled it and Wikipedia had a section on it. Like the Ukulele there are five sizes. With the largest being called a 'Contrabass Balalaika.' It's huge. Here is a link to a video with a Contrabass Balalaika as main subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTCgbfWspPs

Now just imagine an Ukulele in that size....? Hmmm, think something is lost in the translation.

Very talented fellow, glad the Iron Current has fallen to let us see such talent. There's a Balalaika for sale on consignment at my local music store. Makes me want to a add a Shrine 'Ukulele to my "quiver".
dphhqv.jpg

Wow. I've always loved the balalaika - traditional Russian music can sound bizarre (to my western ears) but also delightful and exotic. This guy is truly exceptional.

I used to have a vinyl LP of a Soviet (Ukranian?) balalaika orchestra - about 25-30 musicians playing traditional folk music together. They were quite amazing and talented. I'll have to dig in the basement to see if I kept it.

Makes me want to try one.

I shoulda kept my Strumstick...​

Top Bottom